We are seeking an ambitious professional to play a key role in the flagship industry programme for Msingi, an innovative industry development organisation pushing the boundaries of economic development in East Africa
Msingi East Africa Limited (Msingi) is an ambitious and innovative young industry development organisation aimed at supporting the growth of competitive industries in East Africa.
Responsibilities of the Senior Industry Analyst
Reporting to a Senior Industry Manager within Msingi’s aquaculture team, you will
Aquaculture Firm and Industry Analysis
- Conducting key pieces of analysis in support of Msingi’s interventions, for instance: financial analysis and due diligence on pioneer firms; price analysis; reviewing industry KPIs; industry trend analysis; assessing trade volumes, values and distribution channels; developing profitability models for different cost structures in the industry; assessing the implications of new policies and legislation; research into international industry benchmarks, business models and/or technology; etc.
- This analysis is required to input into the design of interventions as well as to answer questions that may arise through implementation. It will involve interviews with industry players and field visits as well as deskbased research and analysis. You are likely to work with a range of consultants and technical experts alongside the Msingi tea
- You will contribute to and manage elements of key interventions in areas such as: Identification and due diligence on firms that Msingi may be interested in supporting.
- Development of technical and management assistance to both the industry and to selected pioneer firms, utilising external experts as needed.
- Supporting the process for Msingi to invest in selected firms, through investment appraisals and proposals, up to and including deal finalisation.
- Development of industrywide support such as in genetics, training, technology transfer, or policy – which may entail, for instance, contributing to market assessments, and feasibility and technical studies to support
Aquaculture Programme Management, Progress Tracking and Reporting
- Developing and updating team worktracking and reporting tools for a range of audiences, from the aquaculture team, senior management team and Board to external stakeholders.
- Working with Msingi’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) function and the wider aquaculture team to develop and refine appropriate performance indicators and targets, collecting data where needed, and reporting on progress.
- Supporting the management of the aquaculture team’s partnerships with external entities – including liaising with Msingi’s legal support to develop terms of reference and contracts, and helping to manage external technical experts and specialists. Given Msingi is a rapidly growing organisation, the scope of this role may evolve, with the areas of responsibility above being updated in line with operational requirements. Based on your performance, you will have significant scope for increased responsibility and upwards career progression.
- There may also be opportunity for rotation to other teams within Msingi, based on your professional development needs and the requirements of the organisation.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, but some travel across East Africa and internationally will be required.
Qualifications for the Senior Analyst Job
- This role will require an individual with strong commercial acumen, analytical skills and commitment to quality.
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience (ideally approximately 56 years).
- A university degree from a recognised institution.
- Private sector work experience – the majority of professional experience being in industry, investment or strategic consultancy.
- Conducting business and industry analysis, ideally including financial analysis and market studies.
- Working with or in East African businesses and/or industries. Project or programme management.
- Working in a complex, fastevolving environment and dealing professionally with a wide range of different stakeholders.
- Experience of private sector development, market systems programme(s) or impact investment is preferred but not required.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to accurately assess and synthesise a wide
range of (sometimes conflicting) information and evidence. The ability to think strategically and critically, and to bring imagination to solving problems with substantial complexity and ambiguity.
- Strong written, verbal and presentational skills – able to communicate complex issues with clarity and structure, and to deliver highly professional documents.
- Strong commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently, prioritising effectively across a portfolio of activities. A willingness to be flexible, versatile and learn quickly in new or changing environments.
- Excellent emotional intelligence, able to build and nurture strong and authentic relationships. Values driven, demonstrating integrity and firm ethical standards.
- Demonstrable interest in the dynamics affecting East African economic development.
Terms and Remuneration
The contract for this work will be permanent and full time. The salary will be competitive and is negotiable dependent on experience.
How to Apply
All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Cedar Consulting Ltd to the following email address: [email protected]co.ke. Please indicate the Job Title as subject matter.