Great Lakes University of Kisumu is a private chartered university offering degree programs in various disciplines including Health Sciences, Community Health, Humanity and Agribusiness among others.
The University is looking for a highly motivated, qualified, experienced and reputable team player to fill the position of Senior Library Assistant and Library Assistant.
Senior Library Assistant
- Charging and discharging library information resources to users for various information needs.
- Provision of quick reference and information services to users for effective use of library materials.
- Organization of library stock (shelving and shelf reading) to facilitate identification and retrieval of information resources.
- Processing and preparing reports of library overdue fines to ensure that the library overdue policy is enforced and up-to-date records are maintained.
- Provision of library user education through orientation for new users to ensure effective use of library resources and to promote user information literacy Verification of bibliographic details of library materials to ensure that the correct items are ordered.
- Verification and physical processing of acquired information resources to ensure the correct orders are supplied.
- Cataloguing and classification of all library materials to ensure proper organization and retrieval of information.
- Handle and assist both students and academic staff on the use and access to Electronic resources.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Library and Information studies from an accredited university.
- At least years’ recent relevant professional experience preferably in a tertiary educational environment.
- Good customer service skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Must be computer literate.
- Must be familiar with LCC.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Must be good in cataloguing and classification
- Must be familiar with the use and access to e-resources.
- A diploma in library and Information studies from a recognized institution .
- At least 3 years’ experience in an academic library
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking in and checking out
- Materials, registering patrons and collecting fines.
- Checks in deliveries of interlibrary loan materials.
- Does typing and filing.
- Processes, withdraws, repairs, or reconditions library materials.
- Shelves library materials and reads shelves.
- Sorts and routes mail.
- Assists with library programs and displays.
- Assist patron with ready-reference questions and reader advisory, bibliographic
- Instruction and database searching.
- Assists patrons with mechanical operations of library equipment.
- Answers directional questions and refers patrons to appropriate personnel.
- Performs other related work as required.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Working knowledge of library methods and procedures.
- Ability to operate library machines properly.
- Keyboarding and filing ability.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Willingness to maintain skills in above mentioned areas through active participation in appropriate library skills.
How to Apply
- Each application shall be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, National Identity Card or passport, Testimonials and other relevant supporting documents. Applications should be addressed to the Vice Chancellor, Great Lakes University of Kisumu, Main Campus, Off Miwani Road, P.O. Box 2224-40100 Kisumu.
- All applications shall clearly be marked “Application for the position of Senior Library Assistant and Library Assistant.” and Send electronic copies of credentials in PDF format by email to [email protected]
- Applications must be submitted on or before 29th July 2016. GLUK is an equal opportunity employer: Women, marginalized and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply. “ Only short listed candidates will be contacted”