Republic of Kenya
Ministry of Water and Irrigation
Thwake Multipurpose Water Development Programme – Phase 1
Expression of Interest: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
The Government of Kenya has received financing from the African Development Bank (ADB) towards the cost of the Thwake Multi-Purpose Water Development Program (TMWDP) Phase 1.
The executing agency, the Ministry of Water & Irrigation (MOWI), has begun the implementation of the program, which involves the development of a 77m high dam on the confluence of the Athi and Thwake Rivers.
Further downstream interventions, including water supply and sanitation for surrounding districts, energy generation, irrigation development and water supply to Konza Techno City will be implemented in subsequent phases of the program.
A program Implementation Team (PIT) has been constituted to run the day to-day activities of the program.
Responsibilities of the PIT include
- coordination of land compensation and all Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and related activities,
- coordination with the supervision consultant and civil works contractor,
- ensuring all the studies identified to enhance phase 1 of the project are undertaken,
- undertaking all fiduciary responsibilities related to the implementation and the attendant Monitoring and Evaluation and reporting requirements of the program.
- The PIT is located in Kitui and liaises directly with the ADB experts supporting the Program.The PIT
- reports to the Principal Secretary, Ministry of Water & Irrigation (MOWI).
- In light of the above brief, the MOWI wishes to recruit the following positions to be part of the PIT to implement the first phase of the TMWDP:
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
- Ref: MOWI / TMWDP / C001/2015-2016
- The Snr. Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be a full time member of the Project Implementation Team and will report to the Program Coordinator.
- He/she will be based in Kitui and will
- design and implement M&E framework at all levels of the project implementation;
- monitor and report on the implementation of the projects Results Framework;
- participate in the preparation of the Project Implementation Team (PIT) budgets, work plans, procurement plan and cash flow plans;
- design and develop a Management Information System (MIS) for the project;
- consolidate all M&E data and information into regular reports against Results Framework, Annual work plans, targets, indicators and outputs;
- manage information and data on the Project and its Related Investment activities;
- provide sound and timely Monitoring, Evaluation, and Impact reports;
- prepare and submit quarterly and annual progress reports;
- ensure that the quality of data and information collected and reported is of a high quality and standard;
- undertake Project and Thematic evaluations. This will include diagnostic studies and in-depth reviews of Project interventions covering economic, social and environmental impacts;
- ensure that project data base is regularly updated;
- design an effective feedback mechanism that ensures the information regularly generated from the project database and provided to the PIT is used to improve project management;
- identify and make recommendations for Project modifications and shifts in priorities which may be considered necessary and any other duties assigned by the Program Coordinator.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Be in possession of an advanced University Degree from an accredited University, particularly in relevant fields of Economics, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture Economics, Development Studies or any other closely related field.
- Professional training in Project Management, Project M&E and Impact Evaluation;
- Ability to implement and manage a project Management Information System (MIS);
- A minimum of 10 years hands-on experience in a Monitoring and Evaluation position;
- Proven abilities in the areas of conducting project monitoring, reporting, impact evaluation, documentation and advocacy;
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and oversee implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Demonstrable track record of monitoring and evaluation of construction works and community based projects;
- Proven abilities in the areas of conducting operations research, impact evaluation, documentation and advocacy;
- Excellent quantitative skill and experience in statistical analysis using GIS, SPSS, Sound database management knowledge on spreadsheets and Microsoft Access.
Remuneration: Remuneration will be competitive and will reflect the selected candidate’s expertise and relevant work experience.
Duration of Assignment: The duration of this employment shall be five (5) years, renewable annually at the same conditions and subject to satisfactory performance. The same conditions will be applied to any contract extension beyond the five (5) years should that be required.
Selection Method: Selection of an Individual Consultant will be in accordance with African Development Bank’s Rules and Procedures for use of Consultants dated May 2008, amended from time to time. The selection criteria will solely be based on individuals experience and qualifications.
Invitation for EOI
The Ministry of Water and Irrigation (the client) now invites interested candidates to express their interest in providing these services.
How to Apply
Interested consultants must provide their CVs and information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (e.g. description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc).
The completed expression of interest documents in writing in three (3) copies must be delivered to the Tender Box on Ground Floor, Maji House, Ngong Road or send to the address below so as to be received on or before 28th September, 2015, 10:00 Kenyan Local time.
Openning will follow immediately thereafter in Room 449 on Fourth Floor.
The expression of interest must be in plain sealed envelopes and clearly marked with the respective reference number for the position applied for and addressed to:
Program Manager Thwake Multipurpose Water Development Programme-Phase 1 Ministry of Water & Irrigation, Maji House, Ngong Road, P.O. Box 49720-00100,
Tel: +254 02 2716103 Ext. 42258