Reference Number: SPMC300617
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
JOB PURPOSE: The main purpose of the job is to be responsible for maintaining multi-country data collection systems, ensuring data completeness and quality, data storage, data analysis and creation of high quality progress reports for an international health research network.
- Principal Investigator
- The Programme Manager
- The Childhood Acute Illness & Nutrition (CHAIN) Network is an international research network with a headquarters in Nairobi that is conducting harmonised research to improve outcomes in sick undernourished children in Africa and Asia. The job will involve the overall management of databases and other data collection applications in multiple sites, managing online data entry, data verification and creating regular high-quality progress reports.
- The post holder will have a high level of responsibility for maintaining systems, training, putting into place mechanisms for ensuring data quality, data storage and security, and thus safeguarding the integrity of the results. The post will require a high level of communications skills to engage with site data managers in study sites in East and West Africa, and South Asia. The post holder will have to be able to work unsupervised, often with a variable timescale, sometimes out of hours and will require some international travel. The post mentally demanding, involving a high level of communication as well as technical ability.
- Maintain a robust database system, tools for collecting, entering, editing, cleaning, storing, validation, archiving, retrieving, organizing, and transferring of data.
- Carry out data review, validation and progress report generation.
- Prepare, update and document systems requirements; overseeing design of data capturing systems, development and implementation of SOPs for data recording and entry, and case report forms.
- Line manage data managers for laboratory and clinical components of the CHAIN database in Kenya.
- Mentor study site data management teams at sites in Kenya and other countries.
- Conduct recurrent information queries, cleaning, backups and archiving and reporting results generated by the network and by individual study sites according to the project specification and in-line with data governance protocols.
- Implement and enforce regular data security activities such as storage, backups, archiving and user administration ensuring compliance with programme ICT policies on data storage, description, and security
- Masters’ Degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics, from a recognised institution
- Project Management Certification i.e. PRINCE2, PMP, etc.
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience, 3 of which are in Project Management
Skills and Competence:
- Good knowledge of project management framework best practices as defined under PRINCE2 or PMP and demonstrate ability to implement PMO (Project Management Office) successfully.
- Demonstrated successful management work experience for at least 5 years technical services function at senior managerial level.
- Demonstrable skills in systems analysis, data management, database design and structures.
- Excellent computing skills using REDCap and MySQL.
- Analysis skills using STATA and/or R.
- Experience in managing multisite, distributed data collection and integration, including developing system documentation.
- Ability to handle large databases and troubleshoot issues involving complex data integration.
- Have high energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethics.
- Demonstrable experience in medical research data management
- Demonstrable experience with report writing
- Well-developed troubleshooting capacity and clarity of thought
- Expert knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Experience of writing and editing program documentation
- National and international travel to visit study sites for mentorship, training and trouble shooting.
- Be available to work flexibly, out of hours if necessary