Education Effect Africa (EEA) is a Kenyan non-governmental organization focused on providing children living in marginalized areas with high quality education. Since our inception in 2013, Education Effect Africa has been working with disadvantaged communities living in informal settlements of Nairobi and rural areas of Central, Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya. Education Effect Africa has been working in Mbita Sub County implementing ECD infrastructural and educational projects since 2014.
School for All (SFA) project
Education Effect Africa has secured funding for the implementation of the School for All (SFA) project between May 2017 and December 2018.
The main objective of the project is to improve educational and life opportunities of children living with disabilities through research, improvement and promotion of the Inclusive Education Programme of Special Needs Education in public schools.
The project targets 11 schools and communities in the rural and semi-arid areas of Gembe, Rusinga and Mfangano Islands, Mbita Constituency in Homa Bay County.
Education Effect Africa is actively seeking for a qualified and experienced researcher who will have the overall responsibility for:
- designing, planning, supervising and leading a research on:
- The current life status and education opportunities of children living with disabilities
- Knowledge and practice (KAPS) of communities in the project area on the special needs of children living with disabilities
- Implementation of the Inclusive Education Program in public primary schools in this area.
The research will be required to summarize, analyze and interpret the data. The expert will prepare a report with a situational analysis and recommendations that would inform interventions of the project such as methodologies and tools to be used when working with teachers, pupils and parents and infrastructural support for schools.
Special Needs Education Researcher Job Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Special Needs Education Expert will be to:
- plan and prepare field research which will be conducted in the 11 communities in Mbita region
- create methods and tools to be used during the field research
- train a team of enumerators on data collection
- supervise enumerators team during field research
- supervise research data organization
- create research report with analysis on life and educational situation of children with disabilities and
- recommendations on improving beneficiaries situation.
Requirements for the Special Needs Education Researcher Job
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Population and Gender Studies, Education or other related fields. A Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ work experience with development project preferably in the area of research in educational programs in non-profit organization
- Strong background knowledge of the Kenyan education system
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili. Ability to communicate in Dholuo will be an asset
- Excellent skills in report writing and developing field research materials
- Residents of Homa Bay County and its environs are encouraged to apply
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word-processing, e-mail, Excel) and data analysis software such as SPSS
Contract and Level of Involvement
- The expert will be involved as a consultant between 20th June 2017 and 31St August 2017
- The expert will be required to visit the field area at least 2 times during the contract period
- Education Effect Africa will take care of travel logistics of the researcher during field visits
How to Apply
All application letters together with detailed CVs including names of three referees and expected remuneration for the above advertised assignment should be addressed to The CEO, Education Effect Africa, P.O. Box 52199-00100, Nairobi and sent by email to [email protected] not later than 8th June 2017.
The application should also include a detailed a recommended work plan that would enable delivery of the above tasks.
Please indicate clearly on the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from Education Effect Africa after 20th June 2017.