Job Title: Senior Manager – Internal Audit
Organisation: Stanbic Bank
Job ID: 23447
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Senior Manager – Internal Audit will review and assess the high risk areas of the business in order to give assurance to the Group Audit Committee, Business Executives and Shareholders that good governance practices are in place and internal controls are exercised throughout the financial period. The incumbent will also provide support in ensuring the achievement of the Group Internal Audit function mission which is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services that are designed to add value and improve Group operational controls. Support Group Internal Audit in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to the evaluation and improvement of the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Review and implement functional and service strategy:
- Understand the GIA strategy and its link to Group Strategy.
- Understand and Comply with the GIA standards and methodology as defined and supported by the audit tool.
- The incumbent will execute allocated operational plans in line with the GIA strategy.
- Create and manage component of overall project plan. Meet assigned budget and project milestones.
Provide formal weekly project status updates/reporting:
- Actively contribute to definition and delivery of team goals and KPIs to support delivery of GIA annual performance goals.
- Provide input to all committee reports as required.
Manage relationships for allocated portfolios:
- Build and foster a good relationship with business units, enabling functions, risk and compliance management stakeholders (all relevant levels of management impacted by the service) especially those working in your allocated audit portfolio – through regular communication and formal status reporting.
- Build and foster a good working relationship with internal audit teams and colleagues (all relevant service teams and management levels) to promote cross skilling and optimise cross team delivery – through regular communication.
- The incumbent will understand detailed business process activities as well as activities performed in enabling functions that support these.
- Understand annual key risk concerns for the business area as well as industry and latest trends impacting risk and control practices
- Maintain core competency (technical) knowledge and best practice within portfolio. Review and provide feedback to GIA Operations regarding updates / enhancements required to GIA Standards and Methodology.
- Identify and recommend areas of improvement (to accountable process owners) in the control environment of your allocated audit portfolio and other areas of the group.
- Report or share information on emerging trends and potential solutions for addressing control weaknesses, process efficiency challenges or resolving open audit issues.
Provide the third line assurance services:
- Contribute to development of the GIA Annual Audit Plan applying a risk based approach.
- Ensure the annual plan is kept updated with operational changes during the year.
- Deliver all allocated assignments within with agreed time, scope and budget.
- Define scope, approach and detailed plan and allocate resources. Manage and control delivery of the assignment plan, report and close audit/advisory/proactive assurance assignments where LEAD role is allocated.
- Deliver allocated components of the audit/advisory/proactive assurance assignment and report on these according to the GIA methodology and GIA quality standards.
- Actively contribute to continuous enhancement of quality control standards and toolkits for audit assignments.
- Complete all assigned / functional working papers, from planning to report within deadline, and ensure correct classification and allocation of findings in the Audit Tool.
- Report key issues or audit findings accurately in a succinct, impactful manner, clearly articulate and substantiate materiality or significance of the risk and its impact.
- Recommend an appropriate corrective action, and obtain management commitments for correctives actions and record these accurately as agreed.
Lead a team of Junior Audit Managers and Auditors:
- Maintain a succession plan for the team by reviewing the skills of the team at least twice a year and having career conversations with them.
- Actively participate in interviews and recruitment of new members of the team.
- Develop a high performing team by embedding the bank’s performance process, regular performance feedback and coaching. Address poor performance.
- Provide formal performance feedback to peers.
- Manage own training requirements and complete of all Compliance related training.
- Proactively drive own development plans. Facilitate development of junior staff, where applicable.
Coach/mentor individuals or intentionally transfer knowledge to individuals on the job to mature their professional skills and careers.
- Motivate team members and ensure that they receive recognition for work well done and contributetowards a positive, high performance working environment.
- Perform HR administration (personnel records: Leave, Training and EPM records).
Manage Audit database for future use:
- Contribute to continuous enhancement of the service delivery framework components under the custody of the allocated audit service area.
- Ensure that the knowledge database is kept up to date with key portfolio information.
- Keep abreast with best practices, industry regulations, risks, audit techniques and tools through research, association with profession bodies, etc.
Provide operational management for own portfolio:
- Update the resource allocation schedule as required.
- Provide input to a monthly report of Progress/Status against all active assignments (in the portfolio) updating all reporting tools.
- Track, review/provide Progress/Status against allocated open audit issues update issue tracking database and provide MIS to auditees and management committees.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Stanbic Bank Senior Manager – Internal Audit job placement should hold a University Degree in Business & or related field.
- Professional qualification in CPA, CIA, ACCA or equivalent and profound IT efficiency would be an added advantage.
- A minimum of five to seven years’ experience in Audit, Compliance and Operational risk in the bank.
- Previous exposure and experience in auditing, finance and credit will be an added advantage.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong analytical skills.
- High level of business acumen.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Standard Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Onlineby visiting Link below.
Deadline: 16th May 2017