Job Title: Research Officer – Institute of Healthcare Management (IHM)
Reporting: Dr. Francis Wafula and Prof. Gilbert Kokwaro – Institute of Healthcare Management
Dr Catherine Goodman (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
Dr Njeri Mwaura (Health in Africa Initiative, World Bank Group)
The post-holder will join a team conducting a multidisciplinary study on regulatory reforms for Kenyan health facilities. The project is a collaboration of Strathmore Business School’s Institute of Healthcare Management and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK.
The Kenyan Ministry of Health, health regulatory agencies, and the World Bank Group are conducting a study to assess the impact of regulatory reforms on patient safety at public and private facilities in 3 Kenyan counties, termed the Kenya Patient Safety Impact Evaluation (KePSIE). These reforms comprise the use of a Joint Health Inspections Checklist; increased inspection frequency; linking sanctions and time to re-inspection to inspection scores; and displaying inspections results at facilities for clients to see.
To understand the effectiveness of the intervention and why aspects do (or do not) work, we will investigate the mechanisms and processes involved, the degree to which they are implemented effectively, and the reasons for the level of implementation observed. The research will comprise review of key documents, doing in-depth interviews with a wide range of stakeholders, patient exit interviews, and a costing analysis of the intervention.
Main Duties for the Research Officer Job
- To review the evidence on regulation strategies and patient safety in the private sector in low- and middle-income countries
- To contribute to the development of quantitative and qualitative data collection tools
- To conduct and coordinate primary data collection
- To contribute to the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- To contribute to the preparation of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals
- To draft points for recommendations for policy briefs and presentations to stake-holders
- The post-holder will be expected to contribute up to the teaching program at the Institute of Healthcare Management
Kindly note that there may be potential to register for a PhD using some of the data collected for this position.
Research Officer Job Requirements
- A completed or soon to be completed Master’s degree in public health, health economics, medical anthropology or related disciplines
- Experience managing field teams and collecting primary data
- Excellent skills in analytical reasoning and critical thinking
- Expertise in the application of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team
- Willingness to travel to the three counties (Meru, Kilifi and Kakamega), including several longer trips of at least a month
- Experience with either a statistical package or a qualitative analysis software
- Experience with the Kenyan health system
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position and have the skills we are looking for, we would like to hear from you. Please forward an application letter together with a copy of your updated resume quoting ‘REF:HR/IHM/03/2017’ on the email subject to the Human Resource Manager, Strathmore Business School, to [email protected] by end of the day (5:30 PM) Thursday 30th March 2017.
For further clarification on this position, contact [email protected]
Due to large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.