Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to a single purpose: bringing plant potential to life.
About this job
- The purpose of the Hybrid cereals NSPP technician is to support the NSPP cereals specialist in Kenya Pollen to deliver the targets for the CMS conversion factory set by the breeders
- To develop experience and knowledge of the basic skills associated with cereal plant nursery and seed production operations management, with specific focus on Hybrid wheat program.
- To support the NSPP specialist in the preparation, sowing, selection of ears, pollination, harvesting and processing of lines conversion and in the execution and monitoring of the whole cereals nursery. This will require precision, accuracy and efficiency in operations, with the aim of achieving the teams set targets and goals.To purify and maintain cms hybrid female lines and coordinate and execute the day to day running of the female backcrossing programme
- Support the coordination of the nursery seed production of conventional wheat and barley
- oversite of growth of plant material and reacting to issues with plant growth e.g. pests and diseases, cold room conditions together with the NSPP technicians in the teamAccountabilities
- Supporting the NSPP specialist by learning the selection criteria of the breeding programs.
- ensure timely execution of all operations for the development of CMS lines, conventional lines and hybrids, including sowing, plant morphology recording, field observations, plant and ear selection and pollination, harvest and threshing, label production and data collection, shipment preparation together with logistic department
- To be proficient in the use of all NSPP related software used in the planning and management of the nursery program.
- To coordinate and execute the tissue sampling of various material in readiness for marker testing in our molecular marker lab in FR
- Oversee permanent and casual labour working within NSPP team area (with no reporting line)
- To be an effectively communicator and liaise on a regular basis with NSPP specialists and breeders, on the status of activities.
- Ensure all cereals projects and especially the female backcrossing programme is run accurately and meets production and quality targets agreed with breedersEssential knowledge and Experience
- A Degree or Diploma in Agricultural or Biological science or relevant research experience is advantageous.
- A basic understanding of plant genetics or breeding systems is desirable.
- Understanding of plant growth and nutrition is essential and experience in growing cereals is desirable
- Experience in horticulture/agriculture and especially in GH environment
- Capability to use MS Office, especially Outlook, Excel, and other internal standard software.
- Demonstrate ability to accurate hand work.
- Ability to prioritise, especially under pressure
- Confidence in communicating with people at different levels in the company
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here