|ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
|VACANCY NOTICE Nº 14P-2016/SG-IS/EXTERNAL/P3
|Date of Issue: 19 April 2016
Republished (Currently accepting applications)
|Applications from women are encouraged
|Functions: Web Developer
||Post Number: IS07/P3/52
|Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 20 June 2016
(14 day(s) until closing deadline)
|Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
|Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
||Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union’s activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union’s activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
Within the General Secretariat, the Information Services Department (IS) is the focal point for the ITU information technology services, managing ERP, CRM, documents, information systems and infrastructure, service-desk, library, archives and information management services, safety and security (both physical and logical), to support staff both at Headquarters and in the Field, as well as delegates attending conferences, meetings and events world-wide. It also promotes ICT collaboration, partnerships and information-sharing and represents ITU in inter-organization meetings and committees related to information technology and security management.
| Duties / Responsibilities
|In the Information Services Department, under the general supervision of the Head of the User Services Division and the direct supervision of the Head, Web and Content Management Services, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Creates web-based applications for the ITU Internet and Intranet sites by:
- conceptualizing, designing, developing and programming web database-driven multilingual applications;
- identifying and analyzing ITU membership and staff needs to meet business requirements;
- determining dataflow and developing design of the system, based upon system analysis, and the specifications brought out upon business process analysis;
- developing integration of design with the Content Management System to facilitate data sharing;
- ensuring the technical functioning and integrity of the dynamic web sites, including administration, troubleshooting and support;
- ensuring applications meet all relevant industry standard security requirements for protection against hacking and other attacks;
- providing technical documentation and explanatory documentation for users with all source code and documentation.
- Oversees work of Web based Applications Project Teams by:
- creating Project Documents integrating inputs from end-users, other clients and designated focal persons;
- creating workflow and assigning modules to team members;
- liaising with sectors, departments and units and overseeing module functionality and integration into overall application;
- ensuring project timeline is on target throughout the development cycle.
- Assists in developing migration plan for the Web Content Management System and implements the Plan by:
- coordinating the provisioning of content in a structured manner with focal persons from Sectors and Departments;
- liaising with others IS units on operating system, security, databases, identity and user rights management;
- developing/adapting templates, ensuring all data is compliant with W3C Guidelines on access by disabled persons;
- developing training modules for end-users.
- Delivers an efficient web publishing framework for the ITU by:
- participating to the work of the Web Editorial Board and Technical Committee;
- implementing content authorization policy and approval process for information published on the Intranet and Internet web sites;
- proposing technical options to the Web Editorial Board to ensure that the ITU website fully meets the Union’s information and communication objectives;
- liaising with IT colleagues on improving web infrastructure reliability and availability.
- Performs statistical analysis of usability and trends of the ITU websites by:
- evaluating and deploying tools for statistical analysis of web site usage logs;
- developing and implementing data retention process;
- creating automated processes for providing daily and monthly statistical reports on selected areas of the ITU Internet and Intranet websites.
- Evaluate and test new software, solutions and services and recommend acquisition items.
- Assists and advises the Head of Division and the Chief of the Department and performs other tasks as necessary.
Advanced university degree in computer science, information systems management or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with seven years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
At least five years of progressively responsible experience in design, deployment and maintenance of complex web-based applications, including at least two at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience.
The following experience is requested:
- Experience in the latest web technologies, including web page development, taking into account requirements for security, and for access by disabled persons.
- Experience in working with Enterprise-level Content Management Systems, and in Website usage analysis.
- Experience with MS-SQL Server.
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
The following competencies would be highly desirable:
- Understanding of relevant business processes, operating strategies, policies and procedures within the ITU environment; capability to gather, document and analyze information; ability to draw conclusions, define strategies and suggest solutions.
- Proven experience in project management and service delivery applying models such as ITIL, ISO, PRINCE2 or similar.
- Effective time management skills and multi-tasking capabilities; ability to work independently and effectively at all levels of a collaborative team environment.
- Web experience should include handling both Latin-based and non-Latin-based official UN languages, UNICODE and encoding related issues.
|Annual Salary: (Net of Tax)
106,094.- USD – 141,591.- USD without dependants
113,658.- USD – 152,300.- USD with dependants
|Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
|For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link
|Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration