TechnoServe Vacancy: Senior Business Advisor – Solutions for African Food Enterprises (SAFE)
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe, Inc. is an international non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968.
Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women in poor areas of the developing world to build businesses that create income, opportunity and economic growth for their families, communities and countries.
Our work focuses on identifying promising business opportunities with a positive economic role for and impact on the rural poor. Our approach is based on hiring high-performing people who share our vision of private sector solutions to generate sustainable solutions to poverty.
We believe in hard work, creativity, and leveraging the dynamism of talented people. We are committed to innovation, learning, and results, with a global team drawn from worldclass industry and management consulting firms.
We are currently working in more than 30 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
Program Description: Solutions for African Food Enterprises (SAFE) is a program implemented in Kenya, Malawi and Zambia, through a partnership of USAID, TechnoServe (TNS) and Partners in Food Solutions (PFS). SAFE seeks to increase competitiveness of the African food processing sector to expand availability of affordable and nutritious foods.
Position Description: The position is responsible for the on-the-ground implementation of cross-cutting issues in both Technology and Business Knowledge Transfer components of SAFE which will entail the following:
- Performing market scanning and developing a general strategy that can be customized by specific processors to access new markets with specific target to markets serving vulnerable populations
- Working with specific Business Advisors to customize the strategies to respective processors
- Follow-up on the implementation of strategies for impact measurement and periodic reviews
- Overall responsible for the Access to Finance component of the Programme
- Development of a strategy, in liaison with the divisional Technical Advisor on Access to Finance, that will guide supported processors access financing especially for nonconventional financing sources
- Working with respective Business Advisors to guide specific processors in the process of accessing financing
- Impact measurement with regards to A2F and periodic reporting on the same Sector interventions
- Support sector-wide trainings and knowledge sharing events as will be identified from time to time
- In charge of market surveys and supply chain studies that will be organized under the program from time to time
- Planning for and co-ordination of case studies that will contribute to the learning agenda
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Periodic reporting of impact of sector interventions including trainings
- Data verification of all reported data across the programme including both technical and business projects.
- Working with Business Advisors to customize impact measurement templates for individual projects
Minimum Requirements Skills & Experience
- A degree in business related studies or Food Technology (additional business studies required).
- At least 7 years of experience in agro- processing, preferably with at least 3 in the private sector
- Knowledge of the agribusiness sector in the country
- Strong private sector experience and entrepreneurial skills
- Knowledge of business management, marketing plan development, business plan writing, supply chain studies and market surveys
- Proven track record in providing solutions to food processors
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills a must;
- Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analyses and reports;
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships;
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit your application (by email only) to [email protected] with the position title placed in the subject line.
(1) cover letter describing your interest,
(2) curriculum vitae,
(3) three years’ salary history, and
(4) telephone contacts of three professional referees.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 17th August 2015.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, visit www.technoserve.org