Over the past 100 years, IBMers all over the globe have helped make the world work better and smarter. In this new era of Cognitive Business, IBM is helping to reshape industries by bringing together our expertise in Cloud, Analytics, Security, Mobile, and the Internet of Things: Changing how we create, collaborate, analyze and engage. From transforming healthcare to improving the retail shopping experience – it’s what IBMers do. In Africa, we’ve been changing the way the continent does business for more than 50 years, and as our company continues to grow, we’re looking for talented professionals to join us in this new era.
Join us and be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and doers, and make an impact.
Role: Telecom Business Operations Lead
The successful individual will be part of our GTS team located in Nairobi, Kenya.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead the overall Telecoms Business Operations (TBO) team delivering support to IBM clients in daily execution of our operations and maintenance ensuring service availability of the applications through multiple teams based locally in Kenya and offshore.
- Acts as a subject matter expert regarding telecom business applications and postpaid billing.
- Responsible for incident and problem management of applications under my team both the OSS (Operation Support System) and BSS (Business Support Systems) platforms / application.
- Interacts closely with internal teams to ensure that project needs and objectives are met
- Managing change requests, architecture design, user training, user-acceptance testing, go-live schedules, support and post implementation service reviews for new installations.
State / Province
City / Township / Village
IBM Business Group
Primary job category
Secondary Job Category
Role ( Job Role )
Fixed Term – Short Term
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Training in Operating systems especially sun Solaris and HP-UX, databases especially Oracle, SQL and scripting especially Perl, shell and awk.
- GSM Billing system and value added services.
- 5+ years in a busy IT/GSM environment with hands-on experience in billing systems including at least 1+ years leadership experience
- Conversant with how operating systems interact with systems, & specific experience with UNIX &
- Windows Operating Systems.
- Data modeling techniques & SQL Server and/or Oracle databases.
- Experience with various industry standard scripting & coding methodologies e.g. SQL scripting, shell
- Able to handle, prioritize, multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to operate in a performance driven organization
- Telecom Business Operations(Postpaid/Prepaid),
- IT Service Delivery, IT Application & Project management,
- Service management (ticket, change, incident & problem),
- Server & storage knowledge, communication skills
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- University Degree in Computer Science or Engineering (telecoms or electrical and Electronics) , Information systems or Equivalent
Up to 50% or 3 days a week (home on weekends – based on project requirements)
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.