Twaweza, a dynamic East Africa wide organization, is looking for a competent, effective and energetic Accountant
Job Title: Country Accountant
Job Title: Country Accountant
Salary Grade: 4
Reports to: Senior Accountant Supervises: Consultants, interns Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Overall Responsibility: You will be responsible for overall financial administration of Twaweza in Kenya in accordance with the legal requirements, highest ethical standards and internationally recognized financial reporting practices (IFRS).
- Ensure that all invoices are recorded in the register and immediately redirect to the respective unit PO/Admin Assistant.
- Perform bank reconciliations and notify the senior accountant on any long outstanding reconciling item.
- Review all Payment Vouchers and supporting documents and ensure the validity of contract, purchase order, delivery note and receipt.
- Ensure the consistency of assigned reports and contracts.
- Check consistency of figures against Decision Memos.
- Record all payment references, bank account and dates and capture payment in Xero.
- Ensure that tax is recorded in the register and there is accuracy of tax computation.
- Ensure that no payments are stuck or delayed in Xero and that reasons for overdue payments are duly provided.
- Review all budget codes and ensure accurate recording.
- Ensure that all Payment Vouchers match with the invoice, purchase order, contract, decision memo and delivery note.
- Ensure that Payment Vouchers have the correct currency, details and right signatures in boxes.
- Maintain well organized physical and electronic archive of financial documentation.
- Scan all Payment Vouchers and relevant supporting documents before uploading into Xero.
- Perform pre audit (verify proper documentation, coding, details on payment voucher etc. in accordance to Twaweza policies) for payroll and non‐payroll.
- Support the Senior Accountant and Finance Manager in undertaking all finance and budget related responsibilities.
- Provide useful reports to staff and management using Xero.
- Support oversight and reconciliations of assets.
- Provide support in the development of budgets.
- Scrutinize all imprests requests and retirements and make sure that they are settled in time.
- Ensure that Twaweza is compliant with all legal requirements regarding taxation, social security contributions, returns to revenue authorities and to registrar of companies, fees and other financial statutory requirements.
- Perform all above responsibilities in SalesForce where applicable.
- Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with Twaweza Policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, reporting and information dissemination of Uwezo’s/Twaweza’s work.
- Collaborate with Twaweza staff across units and countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of internal platform (SalesForce), electronic calendar (Gcal) and being accessible on electronic chat (Skype) as per Twaweza requirements.
- Participate actively in organization‐wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established Twaweza values, policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your Supervisor, respective Director and/or Executive Director.
- Holder of CPA certificate or equivalent preferred, or at least advanced stage in progressing towards it.
- At least three years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent administrative and planning skills.
- Experience of using accounting packages, as well as MS Office.
- Impeccable, corruption‐free reputation and integrity.
- Ability to keep deadlines and keen attention to detail.
- Experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Can take initiative, get things done really well and fast.
Changes and Amendments: This job description may be amended by Twaweza after consultation with the employee and the supervisor.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your CV (max 4 pages) to [email protected], including a cover letter explaining your interests/motivations to work for Twaweza, and 2 samples of your written work and names of 3 referees, in MS Word or PDF file.
In the subject of your email write your name, the position you are applying for and country
Deadline for the submission is 15th January 2017.