Twaweza, a dynamic East Africa wide organization, is looking for a competent, effective and energetic Program Officer, Data Management
Job Title: Program Officer – Data Management
Cluster: Data and Voice
Salary Grade: 5
Reports to: Senior Data Analyst
Supervises: Consultants, Interns
Location: Nairobi / Dar es Salaam or Kampala
Overall Responsibility: You will support the management of all the data in Twaweza, in the Data and Voice Directorate.
You will support the Senior Data Analyst to ensure that all survey designs, data collection, data quality assurance and analysis are carried out according to high academic standards to protect Twaweza’s reputation for rigor and impartiality.
You will support the Senior Data Analyst on quantitative research design, methods and analysis throughout the Directorate of Data and Voice, as well as in relation to the research undertaken in the LME Directorate, and Twaweza overall.
You will support the Senior Data Analyst and the Director of Data and Voice to:
- Improve quality and efficiency of Twaweza’s survey design activities, including questionnaire development and design, pilot activities and pre-field quality checks.
- Clean Uwezo and Sauti za Wananchi data, and other data produced by Twaweza, including documentation of the data cleaning decisions and processes
- Maintain and assure data quality, and guarantee data integrity during design, collection, entry and processing. Support full adherence to Uwezo’s and Sauti’s data standards.
- Respond to data requests through running basic analyses and completing data summaries, while improving Twaweza’s data presentation and visualization
- Perform exploratory and advanced statistical analyses using Uwezo and Sauti za Wananchi data, and present and discuss these with the respective program teams
- Support the LME team in planning and implementation of Data Quality Assessments.
- Initiate the development of policy briefs, reports, articles and publications, and co-author with team members in the Directorate.
- Strengthen the analytical capacities of Twaweza colleagues, through data analysis trainings, and through collaborative analyses with non-statisticians within Twaweza.
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with Twaweza Policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, reporting and information dissemination of Uwezo’s/Twaweza’s work.
- Collaborate with Twaweza staff across units and countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of internal platform (SalesForce), electronic calendar (Gcal) and being accessible on electronic chat (Skype) as per Twaweza requirements.
- Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established Twaweza values, policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your Supervisor and/or Director of Data and Voice.
- Masters in Statistics/Economics, with at least 3 years of work experience in data management and analysis, preferably in a developing country setting.
- Experience in large scale survey and data management, including experience in managing data entry processes; highly skilled in Stata; with indepth skill in descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), such as multivariate and longitudinal analyses (preferably using SPSS, STATA and R).
- Ability to present a complicated argument in understandable, accessible and compelling language, using accessible graphics to support the argument.
- Able to write well in English, and preferably also in Kiswahili, proven through publications in refereed journals and/or books.
- Good understanding of East African context, including ongoing policy debates, especially in education and open government
- Ability to respond to emerging opportunities by designing new information products.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines, while working independently with minimum supervision.
Changes and Amendments: This job description may be amended by Twaweza after consultation with the employee and the supervisor.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your CV (max 4 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org, including a cover letter explaining your interests/motivations to work for Twaweza, and 2 samples of your written work and names of 3 referees, in MS Word or PDF file.
In the subject of your email write your name, the position you are applying for and country
Deadline for the submission is 15th January 2017.