Uchumi Supermarkets Limited
Job Title: Head of Marketing
Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
Purpose of the Job
This is a key role in the company, whose principal responsibilities include: –
To market a range of products, both in goods and services, effectively manage the profitability and growth of the products through establishment of favorable trading terms and maintenance of good business relationships while adhering to the organization’s core values, business processes, best practices, policies and procedures.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide strategy and targets in line with the overall business focus
- Guide on all stakeholders relationships management and build strong partnerships with key stakeholders
- Delivery on the marketing plan & budget.
- Managing a marketing team in a highly competitive environment
- Participating in formulation, business management and decision making as part of the management team to deliver corporate brand
- Provide team leadership to support branch operations and guide on brand image
- Periodical advice and business briefs to the CEO on all strategic issues
- Ensure successful and profitable specialty partnerships.
- Lead in marketing concept creation, with management team and advertising agencies
- Enhance stakeholders’ relations through joint activities.
- Respond to all issues regarding corporate governance both in print and electronic media
- Liaison and support activities, co-ordinate cross-functional teams to improve integration and efficiency of the marketing strategy company wide
- Support the business with accurate brand promotional activities that will enhance the public standing
- Prepare related reports, provide guidance and training to junior marketing personnel
- Work closely with other management team members to support business innovations and new products / services development
- Work closely with suppliers to drive key initiatives such as Corporate Social Responsibility and sustainability.
- The Head of Marketing must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:-
- Marketing knowledge in FMCG retail sector
- Developing and brand positioning to achieve the highest level of customer preference and satisfaction.
- Developing CSR Strategy
- Dynamics of products and services through promotions and advertising
- Continuous review of the business plans to meet set targets
- Guide in promoting merchandising standards and continuously promote/enhance shop floor ambience
- Ensuring continuous availability of new and profitable products as required by customers
- Ensuring implementation of competitive market intelligence strategies
- Implementation of a the marketing strategy
- An understanding of the relevant legislation, policies and standard procedures on marketing activities
- The Head of Marketing must demonstrate the following skills:-
- Problem solving & Supervisory skill
- Strong negotiation techniques, analytical & quantitative skills
- Proficient computer skills (Ms Office Suite, internet), ERP system, including the ability to prepare reports, proposals, policies and procedures
- Effective public relations, and communication skills
- Stress, Interviewing and Time management skills
- Personal Attributes
- Be a team player, good communicator
- Exceptional degree of integrity, work ethics, honesty, judgment and tact in handling the most sensitive, diverse and confidential information
- Demonstrate a high degree of leadership, sound judgment, performance orientation, reliability and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, self driven and ability to work under minimal supervision
- Outstanding in idea generation that are forward thinking and contribute to creating sustained competitive advantage.
- Act as an entrepreneur, treat business as his/her own, sets trends and willing to lead, follow processes to successful achievement
- Ability to deal sensitively with multi-cultural, disciplinary teams and environment in building effective business relationships with clients and colleagues within a matrix management environment
- Willing to travel extensively and to work long hours
- Bachelor of Commerce degree in Marketing, from a recognized University. Master will be an added advantage
- Mean Grade C+ in Kenya Certificate Secondary Education (KCSE) or equivalent
- At least seven (7) years working experience
- Registered member of MSK
- Knowledge in corporate strategic business planning
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Good writing and reporting skills
- Good working Knowledge in FMCG, Retail or related sector
- Must have worked with a reward program
How to Apply
If you have what it takes for the above, please forward your application, indicating your telephone contact, copies of academic, professional certificates and an updated CV, current and expected remuneration, daytime telephone contacts of three (3) referees, two of which should be former supervisors/employers
Applications to be forwarded on soft to [email protected]
and hard copies to:-
The Human Resources Manager,
to reach him NOT later than Friday 18th September 2015
Only shortlisted candidates, who meet minimum qualifications, will be notified for purposes of an interview.