Uchumi Supermarkets Limited
Job Title: Head of Supply Chain
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Purpose of the Job:
This is a key role within the Supply Chain function, whose principal responsibilities include:
Procurement of goods & services required by both internal & external customers, at the least cost and most value addition trading terms to the business.
Effectively manage the profitability and growth of the product categories through establishment of favorable trading terms and maintenance of good supplier relationships while adhering to the organization’s core values, business processes, supply chain best practices, policies and procedures.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Review of the Supply Chain function targets and strategy in line with the overall business strategies
- Approval of all purchase orders up to the allowed value• Setting up and reviewing trading terms with suppliers
- Supplier relationship management to identify and build partnerships with key suppliers on an operational level (meetings, visits and appraisals)
- Negotiate price changes from suppliers
- New items review and presentation
- Responsible for the overall sales and margin performance of product divisions
- Market intelligence analysis to identify metrics, tools and process to optimize sourcing, supplier activities and efficiencies.
- Liaison and support activities, co-ordinate cross-functional teams to improve integration and efficiency across the supply network.
- Support the business with accurate price forecasting. Prepares information on purchase prices and conditions to enable proper budgeting and cash forecasting.
- Measure and manage overall performance of suppliers & respective procurement teams
- Prepare a range of procurement-related reports, providing guidance and training to junior supply chain personnel
- Work closely with the Supply Chain Category teams to support business innovations and new products / services development.
- Work closely with suppliers to drive key initiatives such as Corporate Social Responsibility and sustainability.
- The Head of Supply Chain must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:-
- Supply chain management
- Distribution channels in FMCG retail sector
- An understanding of the relevant legislation, policies and standard procedures on procurement
- Knowledge in weights & measures regulations, quality marks as determined by KEBS and Public Health regulations on goods
- Wide knowledge in sourcing of goods & services
- Conversant with contractual laws related to procurement & supply
- The Head of Supply Chain must demonstrate the following skills:-
- Problem solving & Supervisory skill
- Strong negotiation techniques, analytical & quantitative skills
- Proficient computer skills (Ms Office Suite, internet), ERP system, including the ability to prepare reports, proposals, policies and procedures
- Effective public relations, and communication skills
- Stress, Interviewing and Time management skills
- Be a team player, good communicator
- Exceptional degree of integrity, work ethics, honesty, judgment and tact in handling the most sensitive, diverse and confidential information
- Demonstrate a high degree of leadership, sound judgment, performance orientation, reliability and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, self driven and ability to work under minimal supervision
- Outstanding in idea generation that are forward thinking and contribute to creating sustained competitive advantage.
- Act as an entrepreneur, treat business as his/her own, sets trends and willing to lead, follow processes to successful achievement
- Ability to deal sensitively with multi-cultural, disciplinary teams and environment in building effective business relationships with clients and colleagues within a matrix management environment
- Willing to travel extensively and to work long hours
- Bachelor of Commerce degree in Purchasing & Supply Chain, from a recognized University. Master will be an added advantage
- Mean Grade C+ in Kenya Certificate Secondary Education (KCSE) or equivalent• CIPS (UK) Graduate Diploma
- Membership of Professional body in area of specialization, e.g. CIPS, KISM,
- Certified Public Accountant qualification will be added an advantage
- At least seven (7) years working experience in Procurement & Supply Chain
- Good working Knowledge in FMCG especially in the Retail sector
How to Apply
If you have what it takes for the above, please forward your application, indicating your telephone contact, copies of academic, professional certificates and an updated CV, current and expected remuneration, daytime telephone contacts of three (3) referees, two of which should be former supervisors/employers
Applications to be forwarded on soft to [email protected]
and hard copies to:-
The Human Resources Manager,
to reach him NOT later than Friday 18th September 2015
Only shortlisted candidates, who meet minimum qualifications, will be notified for purposes of an interview.