The Accountant shall have three major responsibilities: Project Contract and Commitment Management, Cost Management and financial reporting. The person must be committed to delivery of highly professional service to all UDPK internal and external stakeholders
Project Accountant Job Duties and Responsibilities
Contract and Commitment Management
- Assist the finance office manage all financial processes ensuring confidentiality, accurate and timely record keeping and data management
- Assist the processing of all projects income and costs, ensuring correct coding, authorization, and transaction management
- Routinely review project budgets and monitor change controls, early warnings and contingency draw downs
- Help in setting up and managing Project cash flows
- Work closely with grants officer, partners and member DPOs to create comprehensive financial plans and track progress of the projects and sub-grants.
- Maintain sufficient project and grants contract documentation and check that payments made are in line with contractual terms
- Manage the overheads associated with the project team including staff costs
- The accountant shall ensure costs are correctly allocated to approved project budget lines.
- Prepare and reconcile the fund accountability statements and project codes
- Liaise with the program officers and coordinators, grants officerand monitoring and evaluation officer to keep up to date and have sufficient detail on work in progress to plan and manage costs effectively
- Plan for and manage internal and external programs/ project costs
- Produce monthly finance reports for the project team, to agreed timetables, showing budget, forecast, committed and actual performance against plan, with breakdown of costs and written commentary
- Ensure project budgets and plans are kept up to date to reflect progress and changes to assumptions, including any reforecast as required
- Maintain detailed records as required for both internal and external audit purposes
- Take responsibility for preparation of all financial and non-financial information required for donors and UDPK management as required in both routine reporting and ad hoc requests
- Undertake monthly reviews with budget holders to review Direct Costs and feedback to Open Up Finance Committee where necessary
- Ensure UDPK’s compliance with tax and any other financials statutory obligations
- Support Project team at all levels to discharge their responsibilities.
- Provide financial input into forward planning process to support completion of project lifecycle
- Assist in proposals and budgets development processes and perform budget analysis duties as assigned by the Financial Officer
Qualifications for the Project Accountant Job
- For the above position, the successful applicant should have the following:
Bachelor of Commerce Degree with a specialization in accounting or finance, Bachelor of Business Administration or abusiness-related field from a recognized university.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part III qualification and being a member of ICPAK will be an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge in Excel and accounting software preferably QuickBooks.
- At least 3 years’ experience in Financial Management and Reporting.
- Sound knowledge of program/project management, accounting principles and regulatory guidelines.
- Excellent planning, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Knowledge and hands on experience in office automation tools.
- Excellent relations and communications with partners and stakeholders
How to Apply
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your current position, remuneration level, e-mail address and telephone contacts, copies of academic and professional credentials and contacts of 3 referees to the email [email protected] not later than 30th June 2017.
Qualified women, youth and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
UDPK is an equal opportunity employer.