Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026730
Vacancy Notice: 32/2016
Reports to: Senior Associate
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Receptionist will manage the reception area of UNHCR Office. The incumbent functions under the direct supervision of a (Senior Associate or an Officer who provides regular guidance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will receive, screen and assist visitors and persons of concern and direct them to the appropriate Officer / Office / Unit/ Department.
- Take messages or provide general information, understanding the importance and the confidentiality of the issues treated.
- Adopt tactful attitude to inform and convince interlocutors to accept unforeseen situations, such as waiting longer than expected, or accepting the cancellation of an appointment.
- Identify and prioritize vulnerable cases.
- Update the scheduling system to ensure proper recording of appointments.
- Report immediately on any security concerns occurred at the reception area.
- Offer support in monitoring the trends and the profile of cases approaching the reception area.
- May be required to participate in the registration activities and respond to refugees’ inquiries.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators: Visitors and persons of concern have a full and fair access to UNHCR staff and services while approaching the reception for different purposes and their privacy is respected.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Receptionist job placement should have secondary education.
- At least five years of previous relevant job experience.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 4th January, 2017