Job Title: Secretary
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026827
Vacancy Notice: 33/2016
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Secretary will provide secretarial and administrative support to the Unit as a whole. The incumbent will receive regular guidance from his/her supervisor. As per specific instructions, the incumbent will require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives. The assignments are mostly standard tasks including limited interpretation of subject matter and information exchange between staff in the office, at the duty station and external officials of other institutions to ensure mutual understanding.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare correspondence for signature, checking enclosures and addresses, and draft correspondence on routine matters.
- Arrange appointments/meetings both internal and external, some involving high ranking officials.
- The incumbent will receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls, respond to routine requests for information and take notes at meetings as and when required.
- Type a wide variety of material from drafts and printed texts using a word processor. Proof-read for correctness and maintain office records and reference files on various subjects.
- Assist in making travel arrangements.
- The incumbent will receive, review, sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing material, highlight priority items and attach necessary background information.
- May be required to maintain/update confidential files.
- Perform any other relevant duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators: The UNHCR Office has sufficient secretarial and administrative support thus better able to meet its objectives.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Secretary job placement should have secondary education or hold equivalent technical or commercial school with Secretarial training and/or certificate.
- At least three years of previous job experience
- Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 4th January, 2017