Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10027117
Vacancy Notice No.: 022/2017
Reports to: Associate Field Officer
Duty Station: Uganda
Position Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative assistance to the immediate supervisor and/or Head of the Office to ensure that routine services and activities within the administrative domain are properly implemented. The incumbent will receive regular guidance from his/her supervisor. As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives. The nature of certain personnel/administrative tasks requires discretion and confidentiality as per UNHCR standards and practices. The incumbent’s workload and the assignments will remain under constant scrutiny and direction of the supervisor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Administrative Assistant will undertake the following duties;
- Maintain hard and electronic office files and records; classify and code material relating to a variety of topics;
- The jobholder will also search and retrieve office files, and reproduce documentation and background material for reference and action by the supervisor, as and when required; – Receive, register, route correspondence and office pouch.
- Maintain a follow up system
- The incumbent will draft routine correspondence, memoranda and reports. Format more complex documents by using the appropriate technology.
- Facilitate implementation of Personnel administrative formalities and processing of documents in relation to official travels, leaves and movements of staff. Support staff members with processing personnel-related documentation.
- Maintain office inventory and stocks of office supplies. Monitor the asset management track to ensure all admin procurements and disposal of UNHCR property are done and recorded accurately.
- Support the Associate Field Officer to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds. – Following instructions from the supervisor make logistic and administrative arrangements for seminars, workshops, and briefings that may be required by the Office/Division.
- The jobholder may also regulate and monitor routine provision of services and/or shifts from providers, as and when applicable;
- Monitor office/compound facilities and equipment and in consultation with the supervisor take appropriate action to ensure proper functioning at all time.
- Perform any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary by the supervisor/or senior manager in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Administrative Assistant job placement should have competed Secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.
- At least three years (for secondary education holder) or 4 years (for certificate/training holder) of previous job experience relevant to the function;
- Good computer skills i.e. proficiency in the use if MS office and MSRP People soft applications)
- Good knowledge of UNHCR Admin and Financial rules, procedures and processes is desired
- Prior exposure to UNHCR refugee operations and functions relating to field office administration
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position is an added advantage
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language duty station.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 25th July 2017