Job Title: Procurement Officer
Organisation: United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO)
Vacancy Code: 16-Human Resources-DPKO-69743-J-Entebbe (X)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of the Integrated Training Service
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) is dedicated to assisting the Member States and the Secretary-General in their efforts to maintain international peace and security. DPKO provides political and executive direction to UN Peacekeeping operations around the world and maintains contact with the Security Council, troop and financial contributors, and parties to the conflict in the implementation of Security Council mandates. The Department works to integrate the efforts of UN, governmental and non-governmental entities in the context of peacekeeping operations. DPKO also provides guidance and support on military, police, mine action and other relevant issues to other UN political and peacebuilding missions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Procurement Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
- The jobholder plans, develops and manages all procurement and contractual aspects of projects of significant complexity related to worldwide procurement of diverse services and commodities (e.g. information technology, electronic equipment and instruments, vehicles, medicines, foodstuffs, building maintenance materials, office supplies, construction, furniture, etc.), taking into account local economic and other conditions.
- Advises requisitioning units and recipient entities on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle.
- Prepares/oversees preparation and distribution of invitations to tender and manages/conducts all aspects of bid/proposal evaluations.
- Develops strategies and designs innovative solutions to resolve issues/conflicts for complex procurement projects.
- Establishes and maintains work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly-planned ones.
- Actively participates in negotiations with senior supplier representatives; signs procurement orders up to the authorized limit, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized signature authority, prepares submissions to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Carries out market research to keep abreast of market developments; researches and analyzes statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of good and services.
- Identifies new technologies, and products/services, evaluates and recommends potential supply sources and participates in the incorporation of research results into the procurement program.
- Oversees adherence to contractual agreements, recommends amendments and extensions of contracts, and advises concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations.
- Prepares a variety of procurement-related documents, contracts, communications, guidelines, instructions, etc.
- Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations DPKO Procurement Officer career opportunity should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, contract administration or logistics and supply chain management in the public or private sector, of which at least two years should be directly related to first-hand procurement and/or contracting experience at the international level, is required.
- Procurement experience in peacekeeping missions and/ or field duty stations within the UN system would be an asset.
- Languages: fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services. Knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex contract issues. Knowledge of quantitative methods to measure supplier capacity systems and ability to identify sources of supply, market trends and pricing. Ability to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors. Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 5th January 2017