Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10022068
Vacancy Notice: 021/2017
Reports to: Administrative Associate
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: GL5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Administrative Assistant normally has no direct supervisory functions though it rests upon the supervisor of the post to make time specific arrangements subject to a given situation. S/he may liaise with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support in interpreting and processing of entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files;
- Attend meetings on day-to-day admin matters; administer the movement of UNHCR staff members and monitor their attendance records, leave plans, overtime and visa requirements.
- Search office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents;
- Provide support in the requisition of office supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records;
- Assist in administrative formalities related to travel arrangements and issuance/ renewal of visas, licences, travel arrangements and other similar documents;
- Draft correspondence and reports, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility; Type correspondence, documents and reports, some of which may be highly confidential;
- Arrange appointments and maintain supervisor’s calendar, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion; Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps;
- Provide support in the management to organise and run UNHCR Office and Residential (wherever applicable) compounds;
- Facilitate various official missions of UNHCR staff and other persons of concern to UNHCR;
- Prepare attestations and certificates required by the staff members for signature of senior officer;
- Assist in processing MIP and various other claims by UNHCR staff and other clients of UNHCR
- Perform any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of the office and/or Supervisor in order to meet the level of the services in the organization
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Administrative Assistant job vacancy should have completed secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.
- At least five years of job experience relevant to the function;
- Good computer skills (MS office and People Soft applications).
- Working knowledge in UNHCR Admin and financial rules, procedures and processes;
- Knowledge and working experience of MSRP (Peoplesoft);
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN languages.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of local language.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 19th June 2017