African Urban Agenda Internships at UN Habitat, Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UNHabitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UNHABITAT Regional Office for Africa (ROAF), African Urban Agenda internship is for 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and fulltime.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Urban Agenda Internship Responsibilities
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, the intern will:
- Assist the project coordinator in day to day activities
- Prepare background documents for events and conferences
- Edit reports, concept notes and other related documents
- Help in organizing side events for Prepcomm III and Habitat III
- Help in the dispatch of invitations to Habitat agency partners during upcoming events
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Uses time efficiently
Education Requirements for urban Agenda Internship
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a oneyear period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Studies in Urban Planning, Demography, Geography, Social Sciences or Management. preferred.
Note: IT Skills such as Proficiency in Microsoft office especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint are highly required.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the internship, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN Language is desirable.
How to Apply
Click here to apply