Appointment against this post is on a local basis. Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment.
Staff members are subject to the authority of and assignment by the Secretary-General. All staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your pplication may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira ‘Need Help?’ link.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN Habitat is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This post is located in the Programme Division, Urban Economy and Municipal Finance Branch, in the Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Programme Division, the incumbent will perform the following duties
Assist in Division and Programme-wide coordination
- Ensure smooth secretarial support to the Director, overseeing special assignments and giving guidance to colleagues over office procedure and special instruction;
- Consolidate mission and leave forecasts for the Programme Division, including consolidating forecasts for the sub-programme co-ordinators and regional directors;
- Assist with travel arrangements for the Director, ensuring the appropriate authorizations are received;
- Participate in the preparation of staff and/or any other meetings as requested by the Director, including organizing, booking the venue and raising the appropriate documents in Umoja;
- Organize meetings with ministers, senior governments personnel, ambassadors:
- Representatives of the media and non-governmental organizations, including facilitating smooth entry into the complex by liaising with security for clearance;
- Answer routine queries and acknowledge all documents and important letters in the absence of the Director.
- Receive, screen and track incoming correspondence, drawing the Director’s attention to specific issues for his attention;
- Draft replies to general and administrative correspondence on the basis of instructions and/or own initiative, and finalize such correspondence.
- Arrange appointments and receive visitors;
- Assist in preparing the Director’s agenda;
- Maintain the filing system (paper and electronic), ensuring that all activities supported are traceable and accessible when required;
- Serve as focal point, leave monitor, time attendance monitor for the Division;
- Initiate requisition of goods and services as required, including raising shopping carts in Umoja and other associated processes;
- Ensure office equipment such as photocopiers are well maintained;
- Act as procurement focal point of the Division;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including but not limited to administrative policies, processes and procedures related to budget, finance, procurement, and human resources . Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Completion of secondary education is required. Supplementary training in secretarial, work from a recognized secretarial college and/or diploma in business administration and/or other relevant qualifications, is required.
- MUST have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) or the Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices away from Headquarters.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible working experience in or related area, is required.
- Working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) is desirable.
- Experience in working with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other software packages will be an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of the French language is desirable.
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here