UN Habitat Project Assistant Job in Kenya, Salary over Ksh150,000
Project Assistant, (Consultant), Nairobi, Deadline: 11 April 2018
Issued on: 04 April 2018
|ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION||UN-Habitat, Somalia Programme|
|FUNCTIONAL TITLE||Project Assistant|
|POST DURATION||12 Months|
|CLOSING DATE||11 April 2018|
Joint Programme on Local Governance & Decentralized Service Delivery (JPLG),
The UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery for Somalia (JPLG) has established an important platform for seizing the development moment and is also a programme that has translated many of the ambitions of the ‘One UN’ principles into tangible improvements in aid and wider development effectiveness.
It is against this background that JPLG, launched in 2008 for a period of five years, is to be continued for a second phase of five years running from 2013 through 2017 referred to as JPLG II. The Joint Programme, which has five partners including ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-Habitat and UNICEF. The overall objective of JPGL II is to promote improvements in local governance quality that can contribute to peace consolidation, development and equitable service delivery. The programme outcomes are structured around three mutually reinforcing strategies:
- Supporting policy and legislative reforms for functional, fiscal and administrative decentralization that clarify and enhance the role of local government, its relationship to central government, and as a means to improve local service delivery,
- Improving local government capacity for equitable service delivery,
- Improving and expanding the delivery of sustainable services to citizens in an equitable, responsive and socially accountable manner and promoting local economic environment
EU- Reinteg Programme
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) formed a consortium in July 2016 in order to participate in a call for proposals issued by the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa in the framework of the Regional Development and Protection Programme for the Horn of Africa. The EU Reinteg proposal submitted by UN-Habitat, UNHCR and UNDP received positive consideration and is the largest contribution to the Durable Solution Initiative for the Displaced in Somalia, promoted by the Federal Government of Somalia and the United Nations. A contract of twelve (12) million Euro was signed with the European Union in December 2016 and the agreed upon start date of the EU Reinteg Lot for Mogadishu is April 2017.
UN-Habitat Somalia Programme’s newly established UN Peacebuilding Programme. Midnimo (Unity) is jointly implemented by UN-Habitat and the International Organization for Migration in target districts of Jubbaland State of Somalia and South West State. The Midnimo project aligns with broader peacebuilding and stabilization objectives championed by the Ministry of Internal and Federal Affairs and Regional Authorities in Jubbaland and South West State.
The Project Outcomes specific to Midnimo are:
- Local leadership, IDPs, returnees and the broader existing communities in areas impacted by return and displacement are able to achieve locally defined and led solutions to displacement, including the means to sustain a living, access to basic social services and participation for all in civic life.
- Participatory and inclusive community-driven activities enhance social cohesion and trust among diverse population groups, in areas impacted by displacement and return, and with local authorities
- IDPs, returnees and existing communities in areas highly impacted by population mobility, are able to coexist peacefully and withstand drivers of instability and conflict
- Participatory plans, actions and systems for dispute resolution / peaceful co-existence are incorporated into the programmes of longer-term recovery and development partners.
- Spatial approaches are streamlined through spatial development plans and land use planning tools to reduce marginalization and increase community stabilization
Under the overall coordination of the Programme Manager (HSO) and the supervision of the Programme Officer (AHSO), the Project Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Support programme financial management and reporting by reviewing, analyzing and consolidating projects financial reports monthly and providing status report of each project and for the overall programme budget.
- Assist in the preparation of financial disbursements which includes payment vouchers for suppliers, travel advances/claims, financial commitments and implementing partners AoC installments in the (UMOJA) system.
- Assist in the quality assurance of field transactions (cash advances & Procurement).
- Assist in executing financial and accountant procedures to close projects.
- Support with Logistics- Make flight bookings; prepare travel requests/ authorizations, make travel/transport arrangements, as well as general coordination of logistics.
- Assist in compilation and updating of inventory of non-expendable items (for the Nairobi and Somalia Offices)
- Place requests for procurement and payments and follow up on progress reporting in a timely manner in case of potential delay.
- Ensure adequate and efficient support services for all meetings and conferences held in Nairobi
- Process both national and international staff and consultants visa applications.
- Prepare stationery requisitions for the office (Nairobi Office)
- Prepare consignment documents for airfreight/pouch/courier service for the Somalia projects and liaise with UNON on follow-up of these consignments.
- Maintain orderly files on on-going projects and project/programme
- Any other related tasks as assigned by HSO and AHSO
- Provide administrative and operational support to the CTA (OiC). These include travel logistics, meeting and conferences arrangements, payments, circulation of documents for internal approval (signatures) and any other related task as assigned by the CTA.
Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery in delivering on UN-Habitat mandate; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Management or any related fields is required.
Minimum one (1) year experience in administrative services, finance, management or related area is required.
Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Results-oriented, flexible and problem-solving attitude
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Able to identify and carry out duties and responsibilities with minimum supervision.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office windows, spread sheets)
|Applications should include:
· Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
· Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
1. Educational Background (incl. dates)
2. Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
3. Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
4. Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
5. Expectations regarding remuneration
All applications should be submitted to:
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Email: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: 11 April 2018