Job Title: Management and Programme Analyst
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 17-Management and Analysis-RSCE-74524-R-Entebbe (M)
Salary Grade: P3
Reports to: Deputy Chief RSCE
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Management and Programme Analyst (Chief IPSAS and Systems Unit) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the local IPSAS implementation team and direct the activities of the team and Subject Matter Experts;
- Work closely with the HQ/DPKO Team to ensure consistency of the activities in the RSCE with UN Secretariat plans;
- Prepare an IPSAS migration plan and related risk assessment;
- Deliver the IPSAS compliant operational policies and procedures (Standing Operational Procedures) based on the UN IPSAS Policy Framework;
- The jobholder will also deliver a change management plan including the development and implementation of communication plans and products to support IPSAS activities in the RSCE;
- Develop and implement a training strategy including the deployment of IPSAS related training plans and products;
- Identify key processes critical to accomplish IPSAS compliance and the corresponding information systems gaps and/or requirements;
- Assure relevant data cleansing and preparation exercise to establish IPSAS compliant opening account balances and financial statements;
- Keenly monitor the implementation of IPSAS related audit observations in RSCE;
- Plans and directs major IPSAS systems projects of significant importance to the institution, or major components of these complex systems which typically impact critical operations and large or multiple user groups.
- Provides expert advice on complex systems analysis and design; identifies the need for new systems (or modifications to existing systems) or respond to requests from users; develops plans for feasibility assessment, requirements specification, design, development and implementation, including project plans, schedules, time and cost estimates, metrics and performance measures.
- Tracks and monitors project progress against plan, requirements, quality measures, standard processes; liaises with users on all aspects and during all phases of development and implementation.
- Provides professional leadership and work direction to assigned project team, and/or mentor and supervises the work of new/junior officers, contract staff, etc.
- Actively involved in the execution of the most complex aspects of the project (e.g. systems analysis, development, programming, etc.); oversees development of document and database structures, ensuring that all design aspects are addressed and control and security mechanisms are established.
- Develops, implements and monitors information standards and guidelines, including testing paradigms. Prepares technical and user documentation for entire systems and interdependent applications; prepares training materials and detailed technical presentations.
- Stays abreast with developments in the field and determines the need for testing and evaluating new products and technologies; provides leadership on introducing technological changes; prepares various technical reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Management and Programme Analyst job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in electronic, technical or communications engineering; technical science; computer technology or related field. A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in data transmission, network design, communications or related area.
- Previous experience with field support and emergency information and communication technology management is required. Qualifying years of experience are calculated following the receipt of the first level university degree recognized by the United Nations.
- Prior experience in applying private sector or public sector accounting standards such as International Financial Reporting Standard(s) (IFRS) or International Public Sector Accounting Standard (IPSAS) is required.
- Previous exposure and experience in working with UMOJA Finance Module or the finance functions of another Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English, (both oral and written) is required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of systems design, and development, management, implementation and maintenance of complex information systems. Ability to develop and oversee large centralized or decentralized institutional systems; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand information system and business operational issues so as to thoroughly analyze and evaluate critical systems matters. Knowledge of a range of computer languages and development paradigms, knowledge of organization’s information infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user area(s). Is able to apply conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills in accounting operations. Is able to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Is able to plan and coordinate the work of a team. Is able to prepare reports, formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely conveying maximum necessary information making and defending recommendations; Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 2nd June 2017