UN Jobs Associate Administrative Officer
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfill the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Under the overall supervision of the Chief Support Base Mombasa; the Associate Administrative Officer will be responsible but not limited to the administrative related activities within the Support Base which is based in Mombasa, Kenya.
Associate Administrative Officer Job Responsibilities
Human Resource Management
- Undertakes actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provides information regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Provides information on unit’s staffing needs for inclusion in department’s staffing table.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in developing the unit’s work program and budget; analyses inputs and formulates resource allocations by work program, or business processes.
- Using Umoja, monitor budget/work program with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds and grants, on a regular basis, and reallocates resources as necessary.
- Supports the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database.
- Follow-up pending entitlements, payments and claims.
- Contributes to the development of budgetary guidelines for own unit.
- Supervises support staff as required.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software (Umoja) and systems).
Qualifications for the Associate Administrative Officer Job
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law, social studies or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related area is required. UN field mission experience or other international field experience is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 20 December 2016 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted. Email: [email protected] Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail. The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.