Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/22/2015
Position Title: Budget Assistant
Grade Level: SC4 Contract type: Service Contract
Duty Station: Nairobi Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 3 months
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan nationals only
Anticipated start date: Immediately General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge FAO Somalia and under the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer, the incumbent will provide critical administrative and finance related support to the finance and budget team.
Specifically, he/she will:
- Maintain a commitments register (contracts, purchase orders, travel authorizations, operating expenses) for assigned projects for the purpose of providing charge information to the Payments Desk. In consultation with project managers, charge payments to appropriate codes if not covered by commitments.
- Monitor expenditure against assigned project budgets and FBAs, and identify need for new FBAs, review and forward to HQ. Keep projects advised of status.
- Maintain the budget control sheets for all assigned projects certify availability of funds for financial commitments and prepare Field Budget Authorization (FBA) requests when additional funds are needed.
- In consultation with managers of EC-funded projects, convert codes for field expenditure into EC format.
- Consult regularly, at least monthly, the official FAO financial records for all assigned projects available in its Data Warehouse, and reconcile local budget control sheets with them.
- Assist in the analysis of expenditure patterns and identify opportunities for cost containment.
- Report monthly to the Operations Manager on overall budget performance for all assigned projects using the Data Warehouse.
- Prepare budget reports as needed and on instruction from the Operations Manager or project managers.
- Assist project managers in developing budgets for project proposals.
- Identify need for budget revisions, and assist project managers in their preparation and review.
- Draft correspondence related to the above responsibilities.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Secondary school education or equivalent commercial school. Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Commerce will be an advantage.Work Experience: Three years of relevant experience in finance / budget-related work in an International organization.
Languages: Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country and working knowledge of the local language is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit
(1) a covering letter,
(2) detailed Curriculum Vitae and
(3) Personal Profile form (PPF) from FAO iRecruitment.
To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.Deadline: 8th August 2015
Please send your application to [email protected] quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “Budget Assistant FAO 22 2015” in the subject heading. Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.