Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/26/2015
Position Title: Finance Assistant
Grade Level: SC6 Contract type: Service Contract
Duty Station: Nairobi Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 3 months
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan nationals only
Anticipated start date: Immediately General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge (O.I.C.) FAO Somalia and the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer, provides administrative, financial and accounting support activities for the FAO Somalia Office.
With leeway for independent action, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Analyze payment workloads by project and on this basis assign project responsibilities to the Admin Clerks. Review workloads regularly.
- Maintain the petty cash account for the OSU and report regularly on it; receive, review and certify reports of all other authorized FAO petty cash accounts.
- Develop a payment schedule to ensure an even distribution as possible of payments throughout the month.
- Reconcile creditor statements, and maintain liaison with creditors to ensure payments are made promptly and accounts stay current.
- Manage the United Nations Humanitarian Air Services (UNHAS) account and corresponding cashbook
- Act as principal FAO focal point for money vendor relations
- Receive money vendor invoices; verify that all have confirmations of receipt, and request payment.
- Compile the monthly disbursement estimates from the various programmes and forward this to the Head of Unit at the end of every month so that the necessary replenishment is requested from HQs.
- Maintain a register of all advances, follow up directly with concerned staff members on all outstanding of more than 30 days, and arrange for salary recovery after 90 days.
- Manage payroll deductions for UNSACCO and medical insurance premiums.
- Prepare blanket Value Added Tax (VAT) exemption requests and follow up on their approval for transmission to suppliers.
- Develop and maintain a log of VAT exemption requests, and follow up on requests not approved within agreed-upon turnover times.
- Review monthly and yearly imprest returns and carry out monthly bank reconciliations.
- Assist newly arriving or departing staff members in opening/closing bank accounts, exchanging currency and other financial matters.
- Oversees all GRMS payments processing.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Secondary school education or equivalent commercial school. Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Commerce will be an advantage.Work Experience: Minimum of five (5) years Accounting, Administrative and Office management experience in an International Organization.
Languages: Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country and working knowledge of the local language is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit
(1) a covering letter,
(2) detailed Curriculum Vitae and
(3) Personal Profile form (PPF) from FAO iRecruitment.
To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.Please send your application to [email protected] quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “Finance Assistant FAO 26 2015” in the subject heading.
Deadline: 8th Aug 2015
Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.