Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/24/2015
Position Title: Jnr Budget Assistant
Grade Level: SC2 Contract type: Service Contract
Duty Station: Nairobi
Organizational Unit: FAO-SomaliaDuration: 3 months
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan nationals only
Anticipated start date: Immediately General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge FAO Somalia and under the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Officer, the incumbent will provide administrative and finance related assistance to the finance and budget team.
Specifically, she/he will:
- Provide budget and administrative support to the budget section to;
- Monitor programme budget allotment and expenditure against assigned project budgets and FBAs, and identify need for new FBAs, review and share with HQ as appropriate. Keeps all project staff informed on any conditions including reporting requirements.
- Support the maintenance of the commitments register (contracts, purchase orders, travel authorizations, operating expenses) for assigned projects for the purpose of providing charge information to the payments desk. In consultation with project managers, charge payments to appropriate codes if not covered by commitments.
- Provide effective support to maintain budget control sheets for all assigned projects, certify availability of funds for financial commitments and prepare Field Budget Authorization (FBA) requests when additional funds are needed
- Provide effective support for the management of assigned project budgets to;
- Assist in guiding relevant programme staff for budget revision, project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of projects.
- In consultation with budget managers for EC-funded projects, convert codes for field expenditure into EC format.
- At least monthly, access the official FAO financial records for all assigned projects available in the data warehouse, and reconcile local budget control sheets with them.
- Assist the Budget Assistant undertake analysis of expenditure patterns and identify opportunities for cost containment.
- Assist in budget performance reporting tasks including but not limited to
- Monthly reporting to the Senior Administrative Officer on overall budget performance for all assigned projects using the data warehouse.
- Preparation of budget reports as needed and on instruction from the Senior Administrative Officer or project managers.
- Assist project managers in assigning budgets/ budget codes to project proposals.
- Identify appropriate troubleshooting areas such as the need for budget revisions, and assist project managers in their preparation and review.
- Play an Operations Assistant role to FAO programmes and projects and perform a variety of administrative functions including, but not limited to maintaining the filling system for technical and administrative documents and correspondence and drafting formal correspondence for the attention and approval of the Senior Administrative Officer related to the above responsibilities.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Education: Secondary school education or equivalent commercial school.
Work Experience: One year relevant work experience in a clerical, administrative or accounting.
Languages: Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country and working knowledge of the local language is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit
(1) a covering letter,
(2) detailed Curriculum Vitae and
(3) Personal Profile form (PPF) from FAO iRecruitment.
To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.Please send your application to [email protected] quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “Jnr Budget Assistant FAO 24 2015” in the subject heading.
Deadline for Application: 7th August 2015
Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.