Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/23/2015
Position Title: Jnr. ICT Assistant
Grade Level: SC3 Contract type: Service Contract
Duty Station: Nairobi Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 3 months
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan nationals only
Anticipated start date: Immediately General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be Achieved: Under the overall supervision of the FAO Somalia O.i.C, and direct supervision of the ICT Coordinator, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Ensure day-to-day functionality of all computing resources are in working order and liaise with administration to ensure accessories and consumables are available for timely replacement
- Upgrade application software to ensure highest productivity and troubleshoot and resolve software problems and assist FAO staff to customize and automate routine tasks.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and resolve internet/e-mail connection connectivity problems and upgrade network hardware and software to ensure utmost productivity.
- Carry out regular data backup on client and server machines.
- Support development, testing, error checking and deployment of in-house software.
- Support development, testing, error checking and deployment of the FAO intranet.
- Maintain a wireless network for internet connectivity for visitors in selected common and meeting areas ensuring proper usage at all times.
- Ensure that the software for all security systems and call logging are functioning properly at all times.
- Ensure that all shared network resources such as printers, plotters, scanners, CD writers, etc are in working order and liaise with administration to ensure all the appropriate back up stock of accessories and consumables are available for timely replacement.
- Assist staff with software problems and queries, including customizing and automating routine tasks using macros and other built-in features, and upgrade application software as necessary to ensure highest productivity.
- Change daily data backup tape and escalate failure incidents to the ICT Officer for remedial action.
- Collect and process antivirus status and logs from clients and servers for the monthly security status report.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Secondary school education or equivalent commercial school. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or any ICT related Degree
Work Experience: At least two (2) years of IT support experience working in an International Organization.
- Systematic and efficient approach to work assignments with good judgment and problem-solving ability and ability to implement IT work plans.
- Good judgment and ability to organize office work and prepare correspondence on own initiative;
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure and work extra hours to meet deadlines and attention to detail
- Team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Languages: Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country and working knowledge of the local language is required.IT Skills:
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment.
- Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit
(1) a covering letter,
(2) detailed Curriculum Vitae and
(3) Personal Profile form (PPF) from FAO iRecruitment.
To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.Please send your application to [email protected] quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “Jnr. ICT Assistant FAO 23 2015” in the subject heading.
Deadline: 8th August 2015
Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted