Finance & Budget Assistant Jobs at UN
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This post is located in the UN Environment, Corporate Services Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Finance and Budget Unit and the direct supervision of the Budget & Finance Officer, the incumbent is responsible for:
Finance & Budget Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation of supporting documents with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals.
- Support the Finance/Budget Officers(s) in extracting information and generating expenditure reports.
- Assist in the development of resource requirements for budget submissions and in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
- Research/compile data and other information required by the Finance Budget Officer(s).
- Consolidate data and provide support to Finance/Budget Officer(s).
- Assist the Finance/Budget Officer(s) in the preparation/finalization of budget performance reports.
- Assist in drafting the initial versions of the Financial Aspects section of the Secretary-General’s reports to the
- Security Council, draft resolutions and Reports of the Fifth Committee for peacekeeping operations and the
- Annotated Agenda for peacekeeping items.
- Assist the Finance/Budget Officer(s) with data input in the budget instructions for peacekeeping operations.
- Assist in the financial backstopping of trust funds.
- Assist the Finance/Budget Officer(s) in the issuance of allotments and related staffing table authorizations.
- Verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
- Review draft reports, verifying overall accuracy, consistency and uniformity in the presentation.
- Verify and prepare less complex payments to third parties, commercial entities, and individuals.
- Review incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds.
- Prepare payments for final disbursement by Cashier.
- Dispatch payment instructions and cheques to banks.
- Create receipts and deposit for all incoming funds.
- Notify payees of status of payments.
- Assist staff members, Fund Management Officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
- Identify and annotate bank account movements.
- File and archive documentation as required.
- Keep up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme budgets.
- Draft routine correspondence with respect to enquiries related to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date files.
- Provide administrative support to the Head of the organizational unit and/or Finance/Budget Officer(s), as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How to Apply