Job Title:Â Â Senior Administrative Assistant
Organization: United Nations Childrenâ€™s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Administrative Specialist
Vacancy Number: 495845
The United Nations Childrenâ€™s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of childrenâ€™s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The Senior Administrative Assistant will support the United Nations UNICEF Kampala Officer through carrying out administrative support functions for program management and administrative services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:Â
- Supports the Administrative Specialist in coordinating and supervision of clerical staff of the unit comprising: reception, switchboard and machine room to ensure continuous services for the office, trains and assigns them to meet assignment requirements.
- Assists in ensuring all office equipment and furniture is in proper and good working condition. Conducts follow-up to ensure maintenance and/or replacement of equipment and furniture is done within the budgetary limitations.
- Raises payments, supply requisitions, administrative work orders and monitors supply status of all administrative requisitions.
- The jobholder also maintains inventories of both expendable and non expendable property, ensuring to update records continuously and provides reports timely. Ensures annual physical inventory is carried out and reconciles records. Participates in the Property Survey Board process and assists in implementation of recommendations.
- Arranges bookings of venues for program workshops, both in-house, external and upcountry and subsequently arranges release of required supplies and equipment. Ensures bills received from hotels tally with negotiated tariffs.
- Arranges processing of work permits, student authorizations and resident permits for international staff and their dependents according to the statutory requirements of the government. Monitors status to ensure renewal when due.
- Supervises directly or indirectly activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, utilities and other similar services
- The incumbent prepares correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications as required on general administrative or specialized tasks within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the UNICEF Administrative Specialist.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:Â
- The applicant for the United Nations UNICEF Senior Administrative Assistant job opportunity should have completed Secondary School, University level courses in administration, finance, or any other related field of discipline relevant to the job is an asset.
- At least seven years of relevant professional work experience with both national and international experience in administration work or any other relevant function.
- The applicant should know the principles of office management, operations management, programme management and administration IT Skills and working knowledge of UNICEF SAP/HR, WEB HRIS, MICROSOFT â€“ Excel, PowerPoint and Word software.
- Working knowledge of administrative service managementâ€™s goals, visions, positions, policies, and strategies
- Proficient in supply operations, logistics and purchasing administration
- Working knowledge and experience in rights-based and Results-based management
- Working knowledge of UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies, approaches and procedures
- Working knowledge of UNICEF administrative service managementâ€™s policies, procedures and guidelines in the manual as relevant, in the context of the country situations and conditions of work.
- Working knowledge of UNICEF Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP) as it relates to administrative service management in the context of the country situations and conditions of service.
- Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity
- Core Competencies: Communication, Drive for Result, Working with People
- Functional Competencies: Analyzing, Applying Technical Expertise, Following instructions and Procedures, Planning and Organizing
NB: UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UNICEF is a smoke free environment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations UNICEF in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to visit the link below to Apply.
Deadline: 24th May, 2016