UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 019/2015
Post Title: Driver (Roster)
Contract type: Service Contract
Post Grade: SC 2
Duty Station: Bossaso, Galkacyo, Hargeisa, Mogadishu, Dolo, Dhobley, Garowe, Kismayo, Berbera, & El Wak
Duration: One year (initial)
Date of issue: 26 August 2015
Closing Date: 08 September 2015
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates with good knowledge of the local area. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Assistant and the overall supervision of Head of Area Office/Sub-Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide reliable driving services by using assigned means for the transport of authorized WFP Staff members, officials and visitors as per authorized routing following UN safety and Security rules and regulations;
- Deliver and collect goods, mail, documents and other items;
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required;
- Take care of the day-to-day efficient maintenance of the assigned means of transport, check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc;
- Perform minor repairs and arrange for major repairs and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc;
- Produce weekly records of mileage travelled and fuel consumed;
- Negotiate, liaise and coordinate with local authorities to facilities vehicle movements in designated areas;
- Check means of transport for mechanical fitness and the security of the cargo, ensuring that cargo is protected against all weather conditions;
- Identify any apparent problems during field deliveries and report them to the supervisor;
- Take the steps required in accordance with the rule and regulations in case of an accident;
- Perform other duties as required.
Education: Primary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license and clean driving record. Defensive driving and first aid training is desirable.
Experience: At least two years of work experience as a driver; with safe driving record.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somalia is a requirement.
Knowledge: Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs, knowledge of radio, email, telephone and other applications.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.