UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 020/2015
Position No. 15-0018197
Post Title: Finance Associate
Contract type: Service Contract
Post Grade: SC 6
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year (initial)
Date of issue: 30th September 2015
Closing Date: 13th October 2015
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates only.
Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer of WFP Somalia, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide support to staff of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations;
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls;
- Monitor the daily cash position in order to optimize the use of surplus cash and maximize returns on investment through the liquidity portfolio;
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts;
- Co-ordinate with other teams in order to ensure that all financial and administrative services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team;
- Monitor account balances and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner, to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft;
- Monitor and analyse general ledger accounts in order to initiate and achieve corrective actions;
- Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analysing financial reports;
- Allocate tasks to other support staff, provide guidance and on-the-job training in management of financial resources (e.g. managing the petty cash/sub-imprest account, review and analyse vendor and balance sheet accounts, etc.), to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Completion of secondary school education.
A post-secondary certificate in the accounts/related functional area.
At least five years of progressively responsible work experience, including at least three years in the field of finance, accounting, budget, audit or other related field and at least one year at G5 level or equivalent.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other software packages.
Knowledge of WFP administrative regulations and rules, and WFP policies and procedures in the area of work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15-0018197 Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.