UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 024/2015
Position No. 15-0018207
Post Title: National Programme Policy Officer
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: NOB
Duty Station: Dolow
Duration: 1 year (initial)
Date of issue: 5th October 2015
Closing Date: 18th October 2015
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects.
This position is open to qualified Somalia candidates with good knowledge of the local area. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Officer and the overall supervision of the Head of Area Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Contribute towards the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance;
• Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that comply with WFP standards and procedures;
• Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained;
• Research and analyse a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities;
• Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting programme activates;
• Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitoring ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery;
• Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working;
• Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and local government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs;
• Supervise other programme staff and provide training and technical guidance in their work;
• Assist in identifying fields where food aids is needed and in planning, formulating and targeting recipients for WFP aid;
• Maintain databases of indicators relating to, food security and WFP project’s;
• Support the Area Office in developing annual strategic and activity plans;
• Strengthen partnership with non-governmental organizations, local partners, UN agencies and local Government in the emergency response and recovery interventions;
• Receive and revise project proposals and budget from Cooperating Partners;
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience and trainings.
• At least three years of postgraduate professional experience in commerce, development, administration or food aid support.
• Proven experience in leadership, implementing programmes and policy making.
• Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
• Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet or other WFP software packages.
• General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15-0018207 Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.