UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 027/2015
Position No. 15-0018554
Post Title: Logistics Assistant
Contract type: Service Contract
Post Grade: SC5
Duty Station: Dhobely
Duration: 1 year (initial)
Date of issue: 22nd October 2015
Closing Date: 4th November 2015
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects.This position is open to qualified Somalia candidates with good knowledge of the local area. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Logistics Assistant, and overall supervision of the Head of Area Office in Dolow, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide support to logistics operations and activities, and facilitate delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries;
- Support timely ordering and delivery of commodities and supplies to authorised partners and destinations;
- Support management of logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement;
- Respond to and resolve a variety of technical queries/requests and obtain guidance as required;
- Contribute to budget preparation, monitoring and revision for all delivery modalities in compliance with relevant procedures and corporate standards;
- Assist in monitoring inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary;
- Assist in management of commodity accounting, data quality and integrity;
- Support operational pipeline analyses, assessments and operational planning for all delivery modalities;
- Process documentation for execution of logistics operations (e.g. customs clearance, invoice verification) and take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues;
- Collect and compile data, produce and/or contribute to reports and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems;
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to support efficient logistics operations management.
- Provide guidance to other support staff and assist them in completing standard tasks;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
- At least four years of progressively responsible experience including at least two years in the field of finance, accounting, transport, insurance, statistics, operations, administrative services or other related field.
- Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
- Additional experience in analysing data (on commodities, funds, etc.), reporting and preparation of contract documentation is desirable.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
- Experience utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system financial policies, rules, regulations and procedures in the area of work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
- Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15-0018554
- Step 1: Create your online CV.
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.