Coordinator (Joint UN-WB Aid)
As part of the Somali Compact, the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and development partners agreed to establish the Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility (SDRF) as a centerpiece of the New Deal partnership.
Coordinator Job Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The UN-WB Aid Coordination Officer will support the United Nations, the World Bank, Government, and contributing donors to the SDRF Trust Funds in the following functions:
- Aid coordination and Aid Effectiveness
- Risk Management
- Joint Programmatic and analytical initiatives
Aid Coordination and Aid Effectiveness
- Support teams on fund management and preparation for SDRF SC, PSG WG, HLPF and HLACF meetings. Support the development of a joint WB-UN position on a mutual accountability framework to support the National Development Plan;
- Develop and support the implementation of aligned procedures for identifying, measuring, and reporting on SDRF portfolio performance and results;
- Engage with the Use of Country Systems Working Group to develop and implement a post-2016 roadmap for better use of country systems, establishing concrete, agreed targets for both government and development partners.
- Support the funds on portfolio risk management, notably by providing analysis for the joint risk management strategy, compiling input from other stakeholders, operationalizing mitigation measures, and reporting on progress;
- Support coordination with donors on risk management and related matters: monthly consultative group meetings, (including, when appropriate, joint UN-WB donor briefings) the Somalia Donor Group, quarterly sector meetings (WB-specific) and bilateral requests.
Joint Programmatic and analytical initiatives
- Enhance UN-WB coordination at the project level, with special focus on projects using country systems (UN National Window and World Bank recipient-executed projects;
- Facilitate analytical work that supports greater UN-WB collaboration and systematically capture lessons learne;
- Identify opportunities to create integrated Humanitarian/Development solutions, combining the strategic advantages of the UN and WB
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability and results-based management
- Develops and applies tools and techniques in assessing the application of programme and/or administer the policies and procedures
- Undertakes ad hoc analysis of issues emanating from policy application reviews.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other international organizations to the UN/UNCT’sstrategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UN/UNCT’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
- Takes responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and strives until successful outputs are achieved
- Effectively attentive to programmatic synergies in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Generates for regional and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Knowledge/Technical Expertise for Coordinator Job
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships within Government entities, UN Agencies, WB and donors
- Experience in New Deal principles and ability to translate global New Deal policy into effective and coherent advice to national
- counterparts, the UN and the WB
- Ability to lead the design and implementation of risk management systems and approaches
- Experience in risk management related training and capacity building
- Experience in data collection, analysis, and management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to produce high-quality work and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and
- knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience for Coordinator Job
- Master’s Degree in political or social sciences, international Relations, Development or related disciplines.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience with bilateral or multilateral agencies dealing with issues related to aid delivery in fragile states context;
- Good knowledge of recent aid management practices and New Deal implementation, including on issues related to donor performance, risk management, financing, aid effectiveness and monitoring and evaluation in fragile states;
- Knowledge of the UN and World Bank and understanding of national planning tools and the New Deal architecture is desirable.
- Advanced skills in the usage of computer software packages and web based management systems.
Fluency in written and spoken English