UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager and the daily supervision of Finance Specialist, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the Regional Office, ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations Team in the Regional Office as well as with the Operations and Programme teams in UN Women HQ for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Implement financial strategies, in fullcompliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems:
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Draft reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the RO program work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Prepare drafts for cost sharing and Trust Fund agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts. Follow up on contributions within the RO resource mobilization efforts.
Prepare and administer RO budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems:
- Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the RO;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations;
- Implement and maintain control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status;
- Maintain internal expenditure control system;
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Respond to RO requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support;
- Act as vendor approver;
- Input data in Atlas and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Verify accuracy of Combined/Programme Delivery Reports and One UN Financial Reports as applicable. Take appropriate action to ensure accuracy of information;
- Manage petty cash fund, cash impress level and other temporary General Ledger accounts.
Provide finance support to the Programme team:
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items;
- Record and post transactions in Atlas, process payroll, travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements;
- Monitor proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers;
- Monitor the financial status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager implement control mechanisms for management/development projects;
- Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide information to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects;
- Prepare accurate and timely mandated financial reports to donors and other clients and stakeholders;
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non-core projects.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Conduct training and/or helping organize training events and activities; as well as participate in trainings;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management innovations.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely, complete and accurate financial transactions/activities/documentation;
- Timely and accurate advice on UN Women financial rules and regulations;
- Timely and regular monitoring of financial resources management system and timely expenditure of financial resources;
- Timely and accurate support to budget formulation and controlling allotments;
- Timely and accurate monitoring of internal expenditures control systems;
- Timely and accurate drafting of financial reports
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
How to Apply