- Organizational Context:
This post is funded by the various organizations of the Security Management Team, administered by UNDP but under the operational supervision of UNDSS, Extension of appointment/position is subject to performance and funds availability.
The Overall mandate of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is to provide leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the programs and activities of the United Nations System. The Critical Incident Stress Management Unit (CISMU)-Somalia works to provide psychosocial support to UN personnel working inside Somalia and for Somalia offices in Nairobi.
The primary responsibility of the admin assistant will be to ensure implementation of CISMU Standard operational policies. Also he/she will support the Stress Counsellor in planning and organizing CISMU trainings, including the selection and request of training materials, managing the CISMU website, edit and publish the monthly e-bulletins, edit and disseminate the relevant Information Education Communication (IEC) materials, manage the admin side of the stress counsellor’s office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of CISMU Standard operational policies;
- Effective operational support;
- Provide logistical and secretarial support;
- Support administrative and logistic services, including procurement and common services;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures Implementation Of UNDSS CISMU Standard Operational Procedure On Critical Incident Stress Focusing On The Following Results
- Full compliance of staff to CISMU SOP’s and policies;
- Ensures staff fully understands CISMU mandate through regular stress management updates to staff;
- Supports the update and maintenance of the international and national CISMU team ensuring all are informed of an incident and subsequent actions are undertaken in a timely manner;
- Maintain a contact list of all the medical doctors, local physicians, psychologists and psychiatrists.
Provide Effective Operational Support To The Stress Counselor On Issues With The Following Results
- Provision of inputs to the UNDSS CISMU business processes mapping and implementation of internal SOPs.
Provide Logistic And Secretarial Support To The Workshops, Meetings, Missions, Focusing On The Achievement Of The Following Results
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to workshops, trainings, high-level missions, and meetings;
- Ensure timely and organized delivery, collection, reproduction and transmission of correspondence, documents, publications, pouch services and administrative supplies;
- Maintain the Peer Helper Training portfolio;
- Get translation of simple correspondences, when needed;
- Assist in the editing and dissemination of Information Education Communication (IEC) Materials.
Ensures Effective And Efficient Provision Of Administrative Support Services, Focusing On Achievement Of The Following Results
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, transportation, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Maintenance of the filling system ensuring safe-keeping of confidential materials;
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of reports to the CSA
- Arrangement for procurement of equipment and/or office supplies.
Ensures Facilitation Of Knowledge Building And Knowledge Sharing In UN Agencies Focusing On Achievement Of The Following Results
- Participation in various CISMU trainings in line with the stress management plan;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices;
- Assist in organizing stress management and Peer Helper workshops for the UN offices in the country, and briefings to staff increasing their mental health awareness and ability to be more prepared in stress management;
- Circulate IEC materials and monthly bulletins;
- Manage and update CISMU webpage;
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the Stress Counselor or by the CSA.
Impact of Results
The key results have a direct impact on both the efficiency of the UNDSS, CISMU Office but more importantly on enhancing the security and safety of UN staff in the region of operation. Effective implementation of the stress management policy and UN procedures through briefings, training and advice to staff members will ensure that security is mainstreamed into all programme and project activities and staff will be aware of their own responsibility to ensure security procedures are adhered to.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management And Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development And Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT/technical skills including e-mail, Excel, Word and Power Point applications.
Leadership And Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills And Experience
- Completion of Secondary School education and a Certification in administration or a degree in counseling psychology and/or clinical psychology is desirable and advantageous;
- Additional training or certification in a broad range of related fields such as family counseling, training, stress management, critical incident stress and cross-cultural communications is an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field administrative support services is required;
- Experience in progressive professional experience in psychological counseling is an asset.
- Strong drafting and editing skills are required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or Somali is desirable but it is not a requirement.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here