Background The UN Resident Coordinator System which is managed by UNDP, is aimed at strengthening coordination among UN Agencies, to achieve a better focus and enhance the impact of their activities. It works to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the operational activities of all different UN Agencies at the country level.
The Resident Representative’s Office (RCO) provides the strategic directions to the Country Office (CO) and aims to pool the maximum of financial and human resources in the most efficient and effective manner. The RCO interacts with many interlocutors in Somalia, and the RR’s Office will therefore forge partnerships with the Government of Somalia, represented through the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, the line ministries and policy makers, all agencies within the UN System, donors, NGOs, Private Sector and Civil Society.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN RC and Head of RCO, the Executive Officer ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR/RC Office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow, follow up on deadlines and commitments made.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies, national authorities, DGO and UNDP HQs staff to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas, prepare draft letters on behalf of the RR/RC.
Duties and Responsibilities Summary of key functions:
- Effective and efficient functioning of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR;
- Coordination of tasks related to the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR Office and its representation;
- Administration implementation and Management;
- Facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Effective and Efficient Functioning of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR Office focusing on the achievement of the following results;
Prioritizes the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR agenda and ensures timely and quality briefings/notes are provided, in particular;
- Organizes and oversee the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR’s agenda;
- Coordinates the organization of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR missions;
- Manage continuous demands for appointments with the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR in close consultation with the Head of the Resident Coordinator’s Office, including long term calendar commitments/workshops/high level meetings.
Provides operational support to the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR:
- Deals independently with matters that do not require attention of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR;
- Consults with appropriate Heads of Agencies in following up for replies as required;
- Prioritizes important correspondence and issues for the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR attention ensuring that all matters are delivered.
Makes arrangements for official travel of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR, communicate with meeting organizers/countries offices on logistics; set itinerary, prepare travel request, follow up on the authorization obtain clearances, visas, tickets necessary for travel.
Ensures management of interaction between DSRSG/RC/HC/RR with UN Somalia agencies, RCO, UNCT, UNSOM, Donors, INGOs/LNGOs and Sub offices of UNDP and UN in the field.
Participates in the overall day to day management and coordination of the RC/RR Office activities, including setting up priorities, providing follow up and feedback, background documents and publications, and support progress towards delivery of agreed results.
Coordination of tasks related to the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR Office and its representation focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- Provides substantive, administrative and operational support to the DSRSG/RC/HC special initiatives, including, but not restricted to: Durable Solutions,. Youth, Food Security, Community Recovery;
- Ensures timely and effective liaison between the RCO and OCHA on all matters related to the Office of the DSRSG/RC/HC; and identifies opportunities for greater collaboration to support the UN’s transition from relief to development agenda;
- Supports the Head of the RCO and Risk Management Unit (RMU) in ensuring timely and effective liaison between the two units; and in identifying opportunities for greater collaboration between the two unit;
- Supports RCO and RMU research agenda, in collaboration with the RCO Communications and Research Officer.
Administration implementation and management focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- Provides information regarding conditions of services, duties, responsibilities, privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations in consultations with UNDP Human Resources Section;
- Ensures timely and cost effective travel and ticketing of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR in consultation with UNSOA, UNDP and UNOCHA Travel Unit in line with applicable UN Administrative Instructions. Ensures implementation of the UN travel policy as well as correct application of internal procedures;
- Focal point to UNSOA and UNDP HR and travel Unit matters relating HR & staff matter, Travel and Transport;
- Supervise and provide guidance to national staff working in the travel and administration unit in the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR;
- Acts as a focal point to UNSOA and UNDP IT procurement, security and other UNSOA units on matters relating to DSRSG staff and office administration.
- Support the day to day efficient functioning of the office of the DSRSG/RC/HC/RR, for Somalia;
- Primarily deal with the Front office of the UNSOM DSRSG, the front office of the Agencies, Funds and Programs, the INGOs, the donors as well as with both the Kenyan and Somali authorities.
Facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and Protocol issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of the UN Country Team activities. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design and implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for UNCT Programming including UNDAF implementation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Advanced organizational skills;
- Knowledge of United Nations systems.
Functional Competencies: Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks related to Results Management, including screening and provision of accurate and timely information;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering and implementation of new systems;
- Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit;
- Good knowledge of UNDP financial management policies and procedures;
- Familiar with UN national window processes.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- 4 years of relevant work experience at the national or international level in providing administrative, management and coordination services;
- Experience in the usage of computers, office software packages and web based management systems;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of discretion and helpfulness, positively reflecting on the CO;
- Knowledge of the UN and RC systems, external partners, facilitating efficiency in handling incoming queries and requests will be an asset;
- Ability to work in teams, build networks and partnerships, collect information and perform liaison functions will be an asset;
- Good analytical and report writing skills will be an asset.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here