This recruitment will be handled by UNV Nairobi Kenya. A candidate could be deployed to other locations outside Nairobi. This position is open for Kenyan nationals only as well as legal residents in the country or territory with the status of refugee/status of being stateless
The United Nations Volunteers ( UNV ) programmeis the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
The UNV will be dealing with/interacting with other divisions within UN Environment, and will be working closely also with the other units in the Science Division.
The UNV will be working for the UN Environment, in the Science Division, and specifically in the Knowledge Networks and Library Management Unit.
The Republic of Kenya is an equatorial nation on the coast of East Africa, neighboring Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, and the Indian Ocean. Kenya has seven administrative provinces plus the Nairobi Area. Provinces are further divided into districts. Kenya is a multi-party state with Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches. Kenya’s population of more than 39 million is growing at an annual rate of 2.2%. The country’s GNP per capita estimated at purchasing power parity (PPP) is $975, and the GNP is growing at a rate of 0.1% annually. More than 26% of Kenya’s people live below the international poverty line of $1 per day. Kenya’s main food crops are ‘maize, wheat, pulses, roots and tubers.’ (FAO) The normal ‘lean season’ is in June and July. Severe drought in 1999-2000 led to decreased agricultural production, and according to FAO, ‘seriously undermined the food security of 4.4 million people, particularly in pastoral areas. Kenya.
Nairobi is a modern metropolitan city where most basic goods and services are available locally at cost. The city is widely connected through its main airport, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and the smaller Wilson Airport. Air transport is also available to many up country destinations. The city is home to some 3,000 UN personnel mainly attributed to the fact that is serves as the headquarters for both the UN HABITAT and UNEP.
Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers
A 12- month contract; with subsequent contract extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) of 74, 254 Ksh is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to 3 dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head, Knowledge Networks and library Services Unitthe national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks
- Support co-ordination, implementation and follow up of key science outreach products
- Assist in the development of relevant ‘Knowledge and outreach’ project documents under SP7
- Carry out research, including data collection, data verification and data analysis
- Maintain partner mailing lists and data bases
- Act as alternate focal point for OARE and Research for Life partnership
- Draft web features fpr posting on UNEP.ORG and UNEP Live
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Successsful implementation of key science outreach products.
- The development of relevant ‘Knowlede ad outreach’ project documents under SP 7
- Successful creation of relevant databases as required.
- Completion of compilation of partner mailing lists
- Undertsanding the background and history of OARE and Research for Life partnership, and completion of training and support systems as relevant.
- Successful drafting and posting up of web features on UNEP.ORG and UNEP LiveA final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Computer Skills: Excellent computing and IT skills, with full competency of Microsoft applications, Adobe Acrobat, Web Design and data base applications
Required Skills and Experience
- A university Degree: Journalism and Communications, Knowledge Management, Environmental and/or Polictical Sciences, Economics
- Language : English
How to Apply