The project ‘Supporting Indian Trade and Investment for Africa’ (SITA) is a project implemented by the International Trade Centre (ITC) and financed by the United Kingdoms’ Department for International Development (DFID). It runs from 2015-2020.
SITA’s outcome is to improve the competitiveness of select value chains: coffee, cotton, textiles and apparel, pulses, spices, sunflower oil, leather, ITES-BPO and emerging sectors of five East African countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and the United Republic of Tanzania through the provisions of partnerships from institutions and business from India.
The Project Coordination Unit (PCU) is based at the International Trade Centre in Geneva Switzerland, while SITA Project Country Offices have been set up in each of the five East African countries as extensions of the PCU in-country.
The Project Assistant will be based at the SITA Kenya country office and will work under the overall supervision of the SITA Project Implementation Adviser and work on a daily basis with the SITA Kenya National Coordinator.
The Project Assistant will be responsible for ensuring smooth operations of the project. He/she will be responsible for assisting the National Coordinator in administrative and logistical services, and to ensure consistency of operations with ITC-UNDP rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions for the Project Assistant include
- Administrative support (70% of the work);
- Technical project support (30% of the work).
- The Project Assistant has the main role of carrying out all project office administrative functions.
The incumbent will specifically be tasked with the following areas of work: –
Provide effective administrative support for the implementation of the project, focusing on achievement of the following results: Support to SITA PCU Geneva on all logistical, travel/hotel related arrangements for ITC teams and international consultants to Kenya;Maintaining filing system, reports or other documentation related to the project in hard and soft copy;Assisting in maintaining and updating up-to-date files and records of documentation of inventory of asset procured under the project;Where needed, provide informal written and oral translation between English, and native language of engagement country;
Provide effective technical project support in implementation of the Project, focusing on achievement of the following results: Handling communication with key stakeholders and relaying questions to the SITA team;Administrative and logistical support in organizing conferences, workshops, trainings and other project activities. This includes writing / formatting agendas and other documents, confirming participants, taking registration, compiling and saving all documents and ensuring evaluation forms are filled in and communicated back to PCU Geneva;Updating stakeholder contact lists for Kenya and sharing with SITA Headquarters’ office in Geneva;Where needed, accompany stakeholders and / or ITC teams on missions, to provide support in the implementation of the activity;
Impact of Results
The key results will support the smooth functioning of the administrative functions of the project, in accordance with ITC-UNDP policies and procedures and donor requirements;
It will also ensure good communication with the project’s stakeholders and thereby directly contribute to the planned results as per log frame of the project;
- Demonstrates integrity by displaying the ITC and UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of ITC and UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the project, especially in administrative / logistical support;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internet, power point;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with project partners and stakeholders;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and report information and workflow
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work independently;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Familiarity with the economic and institutional situation in the country;
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Administration, Project management, Development or a related subject;
- At least 2 years of experience in program support, in finance and/ or administrative functions.
- Experience working on trade and investment promotion programs in particular will be advantageous;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.);
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with Government, other development partners and the private sector.
- Team player.
Language Requirements: Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills in English and in the national language of the engagement country;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Languages – Essential: English
Languages – Desirable: Kiswahili, Swahili
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here