This recruitment will be handled by UNV Nairobi Kenya. A candidate could be deployed to other locations outside Nairobi. This position is open for Kenyan nationals only as well as legal residents in the country or territory with the status of refugee/status of being stateless
The United Nations Volunteers ( UNV ) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and coordinate international action for the protection of refugees, its primary purpose is to safeguard their rights and wellbeing.
UHNCR Regional Service Centre (RSC), Nairobi provides operational support and advice to 12 core countries in East Africa, the Horn of Africa and the Great Lakes region. UNHCR RSC ICT unit provides ICT support services to over ten countries within the region. RSH and country operation(s) have varying levels of ICT equipment and systems , and RSC, ICT unit provides services to keep these infrastructures operational and responsive to the needs of these offices. This service can range from helping offices procure new ICT equipment, to installing complex Local Area Networks (LANs), VSAT deployment to troubleshooting and rectifying ICT equipment breakdowns.
The Republic of Kenya is an equatorial nation on the coast of East Africa, neighbouring Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, and the Indian Ocean. Kenya has two levels of Government; National Government and 47 sub-national Governments called Counties. Counties are further divided into sub-counties. Kenya is a multi-party state with Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches. Kenya’s population of more than 40 million is growing at an annual rate of 2.2%. The country’s GNP per capita estimated at purchasing power parity (PPP) is $975, and the GNP is growing at an average rate of 0.1% annually. More than 26% of Kenya’s people live below the international poverty line of $1 per day. Kenya’s main food crops are ‘maize, wheat, pulses, roots and tubers.’ (FAO).
Nairobi is a modern metropolitan city where most basic goods and services, health facilities, public transport, telecommunication and banking services and educational facilities are readily available. The city is widely connected through its main airport, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and the smaller Wilson Airport. Air transport is also available to many up country destinations. The city is home to some 3,000 UN personnel mainly attributed to the fact that it serves as the headquarters for both the UN HABITAT and UNEP.
The socio-economic and cultural background of the immediate society the UNV would be living and working in is diverse and prevailing security conditions at the place of assignment is modest. The topographic and climatic features of the assignment location is highland cool and warm tropical climate.
Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers
A 6 – month contract; with subsequent contract extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) of Kes. 74, 254 is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to 3 dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional ICT Officer the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network servers, Routers, printer, LAN points and switches, patch panels, access points to prevent faults occurring.
- Provide technical user support services and training in UNHCR applications, including email upgrade and software when instructed.
- Ensure that information problem recovery is done as quickly as possible by making regular system back-ups.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Installing and commissioning VSAT, Radio and/or Field LAN and messaging systems.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
- Provide technical support to UNHCR’s implementing partners.
- Carry out computer and network hardware maintenance.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
- Perform any other duty as required
If required the incumbent will also
- Ensure that the client’s databases are up to date by identifying and keeping what is relevant and accurate in an accessible manner.
- Generate statistical reports as required by the Management for improved decision making.
- Undertake basic analysis/interpretation of data and draw conclusion or identify patterns/trends, which can assist the work of the Office.
- Develop forms and tools for data collection and analysis
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- The network (LAN) is properly maintained.
- ICT incidents are resolved in a timely and efficient manner
- User trainings in UNHCR applications/system.
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed
- Professional work ethic with good time management ability, should be able to work independently under stablished procedures.
- Excellent people skills, comfortable working in a team, with respect for diversity
- An interest in new and emerging technologies
- Good communication
- Commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, and commitment towards the UN core values.
- An interest in UNHCR and Humanitarian activities
- Happy working with a mix of technologies and systems
- Experience in end-user training
- Familiarity of working within the UN and UNHCR
Required Skills and Experience
- A university degree in Information Technology, computer applications or a related field
- Previous relevant experience in the ICT field especially infrastructure support.
- Fluency in English with clear writing abilities.
How to Apply