Senior Programme Associate Jobs at UNDP, Kenya
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Office, the Senior Programme Associate will ensure effective and efficient functioning of the Front Office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow, follow up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Senior Programme Associate works in close collaboration with OCHA staff, UN Agencies, national authorities, OCHA HQ staff, to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas, drafts letters on behalf of the Head of Office.
Senior Program Associate Job Duties and Responsibilities in Kenya
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA Front Office;
- Ensures provision of effective communication support to the office unit;
- Ensures administrative support to the office;
- Provides support to effective advocacy of OCHA activities;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Front Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinate and maintain the supervisor’s calendar of meetings, organize meetings, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, draft replies to invitations and meetings; researches briefing materials, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for supervisor appointments, meetings, missions;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists;
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on his signature and making follow up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the front office.
Ensures provision of effective communication support to the office on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system;
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and OCHA;
- Review and screening incoming correspondence for the Head of Office attention and prioritize documents according to action required; review and edit outgoing correspondence for the Head of Office signature; ensure quality control, substance, sensitivity of issues, and that they are prepared according to OCHA standards;
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
Ensures administrative support to the office:
- Assist in managing day to day operations of the front office; convey to staff directives and information from the Head of Office; participate in and drafts minutes of meeting and ensure proper dissemination;
- Make arrangements for official travel of the Head of Office, communicate with meeting organizers/country offices on logistics; set itinerary, follow, obtain clearances, visas, tickets necessary for travel;
- Preparation and dissemination of briefing packs upon request;
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Any other assignments at the request of the other staff.
Provides support to effective advocacy of OCHA activities in close consultation with the Desk Office in Headquarter and the information unit in Nairobi system focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of information of Head of Office system activities;
- Preparation of public information materials as required;
- Preparation and dissemination of briefing packs;
- Logistics preparation of the Humanitarian country team meeting.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt on coordination;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings to OCHA staff on coordination issues.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences;
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for OCHA’s advocacy efforts.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches;
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions;
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for OCHA’s Goals:
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for OCHA’s goals for a variety of audiences.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience for Senior Program Associate Jobs in Kenya
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, International relations, Political Sciences or related fields would be desirable but not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Must be conversant with UN system operations;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to build networks and partnerships and capacity to work in a team set up;
- Balances meeting deadlines while maintaining highest professional standards and accuracy;
- Demonstrates critical ability and sound judgment in the pursuit of requests to full completion;
- Demonstrates the highest level of discretion and helpfulness in a manner that reflects positives on the office;
- Demonstrates understanding of the UN organizational structure and external partners for purposes of efficiently handling incoming queries and requests, and for collecting information and performing liaison functions.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential;
- Working knowledge of at least one other official UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
Click here to apply