Administrative Assistant Jobs at UNEP, Kenya
This position is located in UNEP/ROA, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Budget Officer and the overall guidance of the Regional Director ROA, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
Administrative Assistant Job Responsibilities in Kenya
Organization of meetings:
- Coordinates the preparation and organization of meetings/workshops organized by ROA in Nairobi and elsewhere, by providing logistical support, arranging for conference facilities, conference services, secretarial assistance, and travel arrangements.
- Prepare budget forecast and final financial expenditure reports at end of meeting/workshop.
- Update and maintain database of all meetings organized. Provide same service to other UNEP Divisions meeting in Africa countries, upon request.
- Provide assistance to the Director and other officers in ROA by ensuring compliance with the terms specified under all Memoranda of Understanding signed by ROA.
- Provide liaison assistance in preparation of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) ; the African Ministerial Conference on the Environment (AMCEN) sessions; and other African Ministerial fora as appropriate.
- Regularly communicate with UNEP Office in Addis-Ababa on matters pertinent to the African Union ion initiatives such as the New Partnership for Africa’s Development.
- Provide specific logistical and administrative support for emerging initiatives and programmes such as the implementation of the Bali Strategic Plan on Technology Support and Capacity Building in Africa.
Human Resource Management:
- Coordinate the regional office’s human resource activities e.g. recruitment, contract extension, relocation, separation, time and attendance, performance appraisal and training, etc, ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provide information and advice staff/consultants regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities.
- Function as programme case assistant for the office, on issues pertaining to INSPIRA. Act as the ePas focal point within ROA.
Provision of Support on financial matters:
- Provide assistance to the Director and the ROA Fund Management Officer to follow-up financial matters, such as the preparation of costed work programme; Liaise with recipient countries and organizations and BFMS on the disbursement of funds obligated under MOus; Assist in the monitoring of budget implementation and expenditures as well as budget revisions as appropriate.
- Assist both internal and external auditors by providing information and documentation needed during audit exercises of ROA
General Administrative Support:
- Liaise with Support Services on matters pertaining to purchase of equipment, inventory and stock control; oversee the centralized filing system of ROA, which includes files relevant to projects, personnel, consultants, non-expendable and stock items.
- Provide guidance to general staff members in ROA on administrative matters.
- Liaise with the Host Country Relations Office of UNON to advise staff in ROA and African Delegates invited to attend UNEP events and activities organized in Kenya on visa and other immigration related matters.
Supervision of staff:
- Directly supervise the Team Assistants and indirectly supervise programme/information assistants, and secretarial staff.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
- Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc.
- Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Education for Administrative Assistant Jobs in Kenya
- Completion of secondary school education is required. Supplemental training in administration or related area is required. MUST have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Test (ASAT) or the Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or at Offices Away for Headquarters (OAHs).
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ progressive responsible experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Click here to apply