Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received.. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira ‘Need Help?’ link.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP’s Division of Technology, Industry and Economics (DTIE) works with national and local governments, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, business and industry to develop and implement policies, strategies and practices that are cleaner and safer, incorporate environmental costs, use natural resources efficiently, reduce pollution and risks for humans and the environment, and enable the implementation of conventions and international agreements.
This position is located in the UNEP DTIE OzonAction programme based in the Regional Office for Africa of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP/DTIE/OzonAction/ROA).
Under the supervision of the Regional Network Coordinator of English speaking countries and the general supervision of the Head of Branch and the Regional Director of ROA, the incumbent will carry out the following duties
- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources on ozone depleting substances.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating thematic workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey initiatives; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Assists in policy development to assist the Africa Anglophone network countries to meet their hydro-chloro-fluorocarbon (HCFC) phase-out obligations following the agreed timetable, including the review and analysis of issues and trends.
- Undertakes survey initiatives as appropriate; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions to improve delivery of Compliance Assistance Programme (CAP) services to the countries.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with network countries, partners and stakeholders, by planning facilitating network meetings and workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the clients will use to meet their obligations under the Montreal Protocol.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned programms/projects of the Compliance Assistance Programme (CAP) of UNEP DTIE OzonAction Branch and based in the Regional Office for Africa (ROA); monitors and analyzes porgramme/project development and implementation; prepare and review relevant documents and reports; identifiers and tracks follow-up actions;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems related to the compliance of Article 5 countries with agreed phase-out targets.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field.
- Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems.
- Ability to develop sources for data collection.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, natural sciences or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management is required.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in Refrigeration technologies and ozone depleting substances desirable.
- Sound knowledge of the social and cultural realities of the region and strong research, analytical and report writing skills desirable.
- Field experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, policies and procedures, is highly desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here