Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received.. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira ‘Need Help?’ link.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Division of Communications and Public Information (DCPI) communicates UNEP’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UNEP worldwide. This post is located in UNEP/DCPI at the Nairobi duty station. Under the general guidance of the Director and the supervision of the Chief of Section, Digital Strategy, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties
- Ensure implementation of the digital communication strategy by establishing, maintaining and developing intuitive, user-friendly and technically efficient UNEP web pages;
- Contribute to design of a cutting-edge web communication strategy;
- Undertake activities with regard to management of web platforms, outreach and strengthening of exchange of information;
- Identify priority issues, opportunities and major events by proposing appropriate web platforms and conceptualizing new solutions.
- Develop and sustain partnerships with internal and external parties;
- Monitor UNEP’s websites, analyze relevant information using Google analytics and other tools, and provide comprehensive monthly reports;
- Identify gaps and provide proposals for improving and increasing of web traffic;
- Build capacity amongst staff with regard to web strategy by providing training and raising awareness in order to ensure enhanced outreach, engagement and growth of UNEP’s websites;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of highly effective web strategies.
- Manage Web-platforms using an effective and efficient content management system by setting compatibility and standards that ensure site accessibility for all users;
- Coordinate UNEP’s websites and ensure content consistency, regular and frequent content upload and prompt language coverage;
- Carry out regular quality control by ensuring conformity with internal rules and a consistent presentation across various web pages by promoting uniform fonts, formatting, icons, images and layout;
- Troubleshoot and identify potential problems before they arise;
- Monitor feedback and respond appropriately by leading the development of new and specialized sections and webpages;
- Act as an Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) focal point by providing specialized advice and training to content providers and website users, analysing their requirements and translating these into new applications and solutions;
- Work closely with the Information Technology Service and Web developers to facilitate implementation of new applications;
- Provide guidance and supervision to junior staff and consultants when necessary.
Perform any other related duties.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the design, development, management, implementation and maintenance of complex web projects using web content management systems and technologies;
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of digital communications strategy, tools, approaches and practices for the creation and maintenance of high-quality communication campaigns;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to rapidly analyze, strategize and integrate diverse information from various multimedia and digital sources.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Establish effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Keeps abreast of available technology;
- understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office;
- actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks;
- shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced University Degree(Master’s degree or equivalent) in information systems, computer science, journalism, communication, public information or other related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with the two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in digital media strategy, public information, web development and management.
- Experience in content management systems such as Drupal and WordPress is desired.
- English and French are the working knowledge of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here