The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This post is located in UNEP, Executive Office (EO) at the Nairobi duty station.
Staff Assistant NGO Job Responsibilities
- Attend to, and screen incoming calls and/or re-route them to the relevant offices and officers with a clear notice of confidentiality and discretion;
- Screen incoming mail for the Deputy Executive Director, distinguishing any confidential matters and forward routine correspondence to Administrative Assistant responsible for logging and appropriate follow-up;
- Follow-up on actions to be taken indicated in the Correspondence Tracking System (CTS) on a weekly basis in liaison with the Special Assistant to the Deputy Executive Director;
- Assist in drafting correspondence, as required, for the signature of the Deputy Executive Director;
- Assist with responding to requests on documents from the Deputy Executive Director’s office;
- Finalize urgent draft letters requiring the Deputy Executive Director’s signature.
- Undertake all logistical travel planning for Executive Office including the Special Assistants (if accompanying) on official missions and other staff;
- Liaise with Travel Agents, providing options for Executive Office staff travel and related costings;
- Make hotel reservations, airport transfers, security clearances; Inform all relevant parties of the Executive Director’s and Deputy Executive Director’s travel plans in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Receive high-ranking officials attending meetings with the Deputy Executive Director.
- Provide full back-up support to the Personal Assistant and to the Deputy Executive Director as, and when required.
- Perform other relevant duties as ssigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including but not limited to administrative policies, processes and procedures related to budget, finance, procurement, legal agreements and human resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaborative with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Qualifications for the Staff Assistant NGO Job
- Completion of secondary education is required. Supplementary training in secretarial, administration or project management, or other related area, is required. MUST have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) or the Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices away from Headquarters.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible working experience in secretarial and text processing work, or related area, is required. Working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, apply for the position by clicking here. Deadline is 16th March 2017