This Department exists to perform the following functions: legal policy development; analysis of legal instruments; legal documentation preparation and drafting; Providing legal advice and guidance; representation of the Commission in legal proceedings; Prosecution of cases in courts and litigation management.
Grade- KNC 8
Reports- To Secretary General/CEO
Classification- Professional Management Level
Purpose of the Job- To ensure policy implementation and management of the legal services
Remuneration Gross pay -Ksh. 179,000 – 229,000 Pm
Non Practicing Allowance – 30,000
Leave Allowance – Ksh. 10,000
Medical Allowance – As per scheme rules
Group Life & Accident Cover– As per scheme rules
Terms Permanent and Pensionable
Pension Contribution rate (basic salary)
Responsibilities for the Legal Officer Job
- The Officer will be responsible to the Secretary General/CEO for the coordination and implementation of the Legal Services in a results oriented and timely manner to achieve the Corporations’ goals, objectives and agreed performance targets. This will entail inter alia:
- Coordinate the day to day business of the Legal Services Department.
- Initiate the formulation of the Commission’s Legal policies, strategies, and plans and coordinate their evaluation thereof
- Establish effective Legal administrative structures, processes and systems
- Provide legal support in drafting of policies, directives and/ or instructions, and provide follow up activities as may be required.
- Advice on adherence and Legal compliance with the national laws and international statutes;
- Proactively guide and advice the Commission on all legal matters affecting its functions including new legislations;
- Provide guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities related to matters of corporate governance;
- Conduct legal research; write legal opinions and memoranda on matters relevant to the Commission as required,
- Advise and participate in the negotiation of contracts, partnerships, memoranda of understanding (MOUs) and agreements generally,
- Provide regular communication to the Secretary General/CEO and the Board on key Legal technical matters
- Handle legal matters affecting or that may affect the Commission, including representation in courts, hearings and where else necessary
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Qualifications for the Legal Officer Job
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university,
- Diploma in Law (from Kenya School of Law);
- Possession of a LLM, or Master’s degree in Governance or law related discipline will be an added advantage,
- Must be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya,
- Possess a current practicing certificate,
- Possession of a CPS (K) and registration with the Institute of Certified
- Public Secretaries of Kenya will be an added advantage.
- Experience Possess a minimum of nine (9) years of continuous experience in the legal profession three (3) of which should be within the corporate legal services Department of a reputable organization;
- Demonstrated proven ability and results in managing a corporate legal portfolio;
- Demonstrated experience in drafting, interpreting and executing legal instruments;
- Have strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, Proficiency in computer Applications.
Pro-active, approachable, flexible, have integrity and commitment to production results, self-motivated, dependable, organized, professional, and must satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity. Knowledge in legislative drafting is an added advantage.
How to Apply
- Download the KNATCOM 1A form from the website www.unesco.go.ke
- Complete the form and sign (Do Not attach any documents)
Send a hard copy to The Secretary General/CEO Kenya National Commission for UNESCO P.O. Box 72107-00200 National Bank Building, 14th Floor Harambee Avenue NAIROBI Send a soft copy in word format to [email protected] (Do Not attach any documents). Note: Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.