This department exists to perform the following functions: development of research policies, strategies and plans; assist in design of research methodologies; development and management of research systems and instruments; undertake researches; analysis of research data and reporting; capacity building on research techniques; and promoting innovations.
Grade- KNC 9
Reports To- Secretary General/CEO through the DSG, Corporate Affairs
Purpose of the Job To ensure policy implementation and management of the Research and Development Department.
Remuneration Gross pay-Ksh. 216,000-286,000 Pm
Leave Allowance – Ksh. 10,000
Medical Allowance – As per scheme rules
Group Life & Accident Cover– As per scheme rules
Terms Contract (4yrs renewable) with service gratuity
Responsibilities for the Research & Development Job
The officer will be responsible to the Secretary General/CEO through the Deputy Secretary General, Corporate Affairs for the coordination and implementation research and development programmes in a results oriented and timely manner to achieve the Corporations’ goals, objectives and agreed performance targets. This will entail inter alia:
- Coordinate the day to day business and be responsible for the overall achievement of the functions and objectives of the Research and Development Department;
- Ensure preparation of the Research annual plans, budgets, performance contracts and establishment of proper internal controls;
- Ensure the formulation and communication of the Research and Development policies, strategies and plans;
- Support in the formulation of research and development proposals;
- Promote and negotiate funding contracts with partners to support research or other applicable studies or support;
- Coordinate research process activities and the preparation of reports and provide follow up activities as may be required;
- Ensure the effective dissemination of research findings;
- Establish effective mechanisms for generation of research intelligence to inform policy;
- Provide research advice and coordinate capacity building programmes related to research;
- Provide leadership to research staff and ensure that the Units management structure are effective including succession plans;
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Qualifications for the Research & Development Job
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in the relevant field from a recognized and accredited institution;
- Possess certification in either Quantitative or Qualitative research methods;
- Experience Possess a minimum of ten (10) years continuous experience in the Research profession of a reputable organization;
- Have at least four (4) years’ experience in an equivalent or comparable senior management position dealing with leadership and management responsibilities;
- Demonstrated wide experience in progressive data management and research responsibilities in a Research and Development unit;
- Demonstrated expertise in successfully designing and carrying out quantitative and qualitative research and evaluation processes;
- Demonstrated extensive familiarity with a variety of research field’s concepts, practices, and procedures as reflected in work results;
- Have working industry knowledge of relevant emerging research trends and practices;
- Demonstrated wide experience in research dissemination processes including presentations to decision-makers;
- Demonstrated proven ability and results in research resource mobilization processes
Diplomatic, pro-active, approachable, flexible, have integrity and commitment to production results, self-motivated, dependable, organized, professional and must satisfy the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity.
How to Apply
- Download the KNATCOM 1A form from the website www.unesco.go.ke
- Complete the form and sign (Do Not attach any documents)
Send a hard copy to The Secretary General/CEO Kenya National Commission for UNESCO P.O. Box 72107-00200 National Bank Building, 14th Floor Harambee Avenue NAIROBI Send a soft copy in word format to [email protected] (Do Not attach any documents). Note: Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.